Tuesday, May 28, 2013

REVIEW: Torani Sugar Free Caramel Syrup

You know, I'll be perfectly honest here- I'm straight-up addicted to coffee. I used to hate it- It tasted terribly bitter, even when coupled with mounds of whipped cream, creamy milk, and squirt after squirt of chocolate syrup. And to make matters worse, I was taught that coffee could do no good- I heard stories of it stunting peoples growth, discoloring their teeth- I think I might've even believed it to be an agent of cancer. I never fully understood what made coffee so beloved by grown-ups everywhere.
My devotion for coffee sprouted about a year ago, when I heard that it wasn't really as bad for us as I had assumed- no, rather- It's actually a zero-calorie drink that boosts your metabolism and brain function. I didn't really like to drink it at first, I only did so for the health benefits, but I soon grew to love the dark drink. The rich, bitter taste coupled with the fragrant aroma- Soon, not a day went by where I didn't drink two cups of joe for breakfast every morning at least. But things got really bad when I started eating whole beans straight out of the bag like a pack mule to a sack of oats.
Because of this, my family signed me up for a CAA (Coffee Addicts Anonymous) Meeting to try and improve my situation. I was all like, "Hi, I'm Rianna, and I'm a coffee addict." And everyone else was all like, "Hiiii Rianna..." It was a real productive afternoon.
But everyone there seemed a bit out of it, if anything. I think they all could've used a cup of coffee. In fact, I'm feeling a bit out of it all just thinking about it. Please excuse me while I go to fill up my mug.
Despite my strong passion for black coffee, even I get to a point where I gotta put something in it. I mean, I usually will add a packet or two or sweetener- And there's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. But sometimes, even that just isn't enough- And since I'm on a goal to gain weight and muscle now, I'm free to add as much milk as I like. It's pretty darn tasty! But then, don't you ever feel like having a fancy-schmany flavored latte from places like Starbucks, only right from the comfort of your own home? I do.
So it's nice to know that the people from Torani offer more than hundred different flavors- when you include both their regular and sugar free variations (the latter of which are sweetened with Splenda). Seriously, check out that list! There's even Bacon and Chicken N' Waffles! (Although I don't know why I'd use either in my coffee).
But then again, you don't have to use these syrups for your coffee. Otherwise, what in the Sam Hill would be Torani's reasoning for making a Coffee flavored coffee syrup? That'd be totally redundant. Yeah, you can use them for milkshakes, cocoas, teas, cocktails, mocktails, smoothies- You don't even have to use them for beverages. I like to mix some of Torani's syrup with plain Greek yogurt for a protein-packed, sweet treat. You can also add them to cakes, pies, tarts, cookies- whatever! Really, these syrups are just great ways to add some flavor to your food- and when you're talking about the sugar free syrups- for no calories whatsoever!
Like I said, I like to use Torani's syrups for zazzling up my Greek yogurt, and my coffee, obviously. I only purchase them when they're sugar free, and my supermarket doesn't offer up a whole bunch of options of those kinds. As in, the only carry the rather typical sugar free flavorings, like Hazelnut and French Vanilla. But I don't mind- I find those two super delicious! I'd make sure they were stocked in my kitchen all year round if I could. But this time, I decided to try something different and went for Torani's Sugar Free Caramel Syrup.


Torani's syrups all come in fancy glass bottles- Like the kind wine is kept in. They even have a capsule on top (the piece of foil protecting the top of the bottle, in case you didn't know).
Alright, so first, I poured a small amount of the tan, thin liquid into my small measuring spoon. Right away, I notice that the syrup has a good, caramel-y aroma. But now it's time to see if it has a good, caramel-y taste as well.

Huh... Trying it plain, the syrup was obviously sweet, but only had a small hint of caramel. I wasn't reminded of the taste of the chewy candy confection right away. The syrup also had a stinging, bitter aftertaste, like after you've been forced to swallow a tablespoon of cough syrup. Ewwwww!
But who drinks syrup plain? Weird people, that's who. I'm not going to judge anything until I put some of this caramel syrup into my coffee.

I had originally had my java in a Washington D.C. mug, but I found this one to be much cooler. It's a personal favorite of mine, really. Free cookie to whoever knows what the design is from!
Thankfully, the bitter, medicine-like taste disappeared from the syrup as soon as I had drank some of my syrup-infused joe. The syrup made the coffee noticeably sweet, but not on the same level as my French Vanilla and Hazelnut standbys. I think it's most important to mention that the syrup still did not taste like caramel, like I had hoped. Despite this, it still had a decent taste. I was able to finish my coffee without gagging, anyway!
So far, the caramel syrup had proven to be good, but hadn't blown me away. For my last experiment, I put some syrup into my famous Yogurt Bowl, a delicious, nutritious, combination of Greek yogurt, Fiber One, milk, some sweetener, and some cinnamon. It's a rare food thats high in protein and fiber and sweet beyond compare. I could honestly eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the rest of my life. Well... maybe not, but you get the picture.

 The syrup's taste was bumped up a few more points on the yumminess scale when mixed in with my Yogurt Bowl-Buuuuut... it still didn't taste totally like caramel. And honestly, I would've preferred to have made my Yogurt Bowl with a different syrup flavoring altogether
Overall, I enjoyed Torani's Sugar Free Caramel Syrup. It was good- it just didn't taste like caramel. It's hard to describe what it tastes like- it just evokes a mellow sweetness, I suppose. But hey, it's not easy, making a syrup completely free of sugar supposed to taste like something that's 100% sugar. This syrup was enjoyable, but not my favorite, and I don't think I'll be purchasing it again anytime
soon. I'll just stick with my favorites, French Vanilla and Hazelnut- that is, if and when I find an even better flavor out there.

A 4/10 from me.

Torani's Sugar Free Caramel Syrup

  • Pros: Sweet, enjoyable, good in my coffee and yogurt, pleasant aroma, zero-calorie sweetener
  • Cons: Bitter by itself, doesn't taste like caramel, sweetness more mellow than I would've preferred, just good- not great
So, have you guys ever tried Torani's Sugar Free Syrups? Or there regular varieties? What do you think of them? Are there any kinds you'd like me to review? Let me know down below! I love to hear from you!

Till' next time, this has been RiRi Ri-porting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...