Saturday, March 8, 2014

REVIEW: Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned Cinnamon Bun Fun! Ice Cream

You know what sounds nice during this last stretch of winter? Some warm pastries, hot from the oven... Donuts, muffins, danishes... Maybe a cinnamon bun! Oh yeah, totally a cinnamon bun! Warm, gooey, yummy, cinnamon-y, bun-y... They're great. Who wouldn't want a warm cinnamon bun during this everlasting Wisconsin cold!?
Well, apparently me, since I'm eating cold, icy, shivery, cinnamon bun ice cream. So yay. But heyyyy, it won't be so bad. It's Cinnamon Bun FUN! Ice Cream. Funnnnnn.
But in all honesty, this is a flavor I've been meaning to try out as soon as I heard about it. It's one of the three seasonal Bakery Treats flavors Edy's/Dreyer's have just released not too long ago- the other two being Luscious Red Velvet Cake and Coffee & Cookies Delight. They all sound good, really. And I wanted to buy both the Cinnamon Bun and the Red Velvet Cake flavors at the same time, but my dad didn't want to get the Red Velvet Cake since there was only a marginal difference between its appearance and the appearance of Edy's Strawberry. Maybe Dad didn't know Red Velvet is completely different from strawberry or something, I dunno. Either way, I'll make do with what I can and test-out this delicious, pastry-esque ice cream! (Or is it delicious? I suppose we'll find out!)
A 1.5 qt. container costs around $3.39.












A 1/2 cup serving (62g) contains 110 calories, 30 of them being from fat, 3.5g of total fat, 1.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 5mg of cholesterol, 50mg of sodium, 18g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 13g of sugar, and 2g of protein.
According to Edy's, this product is a concoction of vanilla ice cream and a "rich cinnamon bun swirl." Then they said how "the icing on top is that its only half the fat," and I got excited, like, "There's an icing on top!? Sweet!" But then I slowly figured out that they meant "icing on top" as in "the best part" and then I got a little sad...
Anyway, we can clearly see that this is a vanilla ice cream, and peeking out from within is the brown, caramel-looking swirl. Let's dig in!

Alright, straight out, let's get through the cons of this ice cream: It's kinda gummy and obviously incorporates more air than regular ice creams. But, let's face it, that's how pretty much EVERY light ice cream is. At least from Edy's, I can venture to guess. The gumminess wasn't very bad, however, and gumminess is a far worse con than airiness, if you ask me. The airiness kind of gave the ice cream a certain je na sais quoi, if you will. A light, creamy, milky mystery. I guess.
...Annnnyway, the vanilla base was sweet, and seemed to inhibit a touch of cinnamon flavor. I wouldn't doubt it if Edy's sprinkled some cinnamon into the vanilla base. And if they didn't... then I'm going crazy.
The cinnamon swirl obviously had cinnamon in it, and was very, very sweet. The incredible thing about the swirl was, it tasted just like a cinnamon bun! And the icing that comes with! I guess we really didn't need that "icing on top", huh? At first I thought that the swirl carried some sort of pure sugar texture- since it was something crunchy and granular -but turns out that the swirl is created by using graham cracker. So it really feels more like the graham cracker crust of a cheesecake.


Overall, this was a standout light ice cream flavor. I mean, who knew it would taste so much like a cinnamon bun? Just imagine how the Grand version of this fares. It probably has more swirl and everything... So, like, twice the cinnamon bun flavor. That's pretty awesome. But I think that for being a light ice cream, there was plenty of swirl incorporated into this flavor. You like cinnamon buns? Or even just sweet, delicious ice creams? Then you really ought to try this flavor. It's something you have to try at LEAST once before it goes away (limited edition... tick tick tick!) I could see myself buying this flavor again after I try the other two limited edition ice creams.
I'd give Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned Cinnamon Bun Fun! Ice Cream an 8/10.


Need other views from those who chewed? The Impulsive Buy, On Second Scoop, and The Ice Cream Informant all has this one reviewed.


Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...