Wednesday, March 12, 2014

REVIEW: Kashi Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bar

Have you ever tried Kashi's Honey Almond Flax Cereal? Well, I have! It was pretty okay. I gave it a 6.5. But Kashi also has Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bars, and I got to thinking, "How do those taste?" Better than the cereal, or worse? So now I set out on another review to find out!
A 7.4 oz. box with six 1.2 oz. bars costs around $4.09.
A 35g bar contains 140 calories, 45 of them being from fat, 5g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 1.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 2.5g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 105mg of sodium, 19g of total carbohydrates, 4g of dietary fiber, 5g of sugar, and 7g of protein.

What we have here is a regular-sized granola bar, complete with soy protein squares, crisped rice, oats, whole almonds, and eety-beety flax seeds all around. This bar is pale yellow in color and breaks apart easily. Not like brittle, though. Like, if you actually wanted to break the bar in half, you could. It's pliable, I guess/

This bar is slightly hard, but plenty chewy. It gives off a big flax seed vibe at first. You know when you're eating flax seeds since everything tastes nutty, but yet, at the same time... It doesn't. I certainly know when I'm eating flax seeds since I always find one hiding up in my braces hours later, covered in saliva... Well, back to the taste-test!
The almonds were chewy and crunchy, and were very natural-like in taste. They were also pretty salty. In a good way. Not too salty. They gave the bar a decent nutty undertone. 
Complaints about the bar: Not very sweet, and awfully dry. But honestly, I'm conflicted about these two points. I wrote them down in my notes with the first bar I ate, but didn't really feel like the second bar I had was too unsweetened or overly dry. So, I guess I was just being biased with the Kashi for a bit. I admit it! 

Anyway, overall, I'd say this Honey Almond Flax Granola Bars was marginally better than the Honey Almond Flax Cereal. Just slightly. I found the bars to be slightly sweeter and tasted less odd (the cereal kind of has a weird, strong, nut flavor... Hard to describe). Not a very wowing bar, but it took its role as a snack quite well. Not as good as some (okay, a lot) of granola bars, but it didn't taste bad either. And with seven grams of protein in this thing, you can't wish for the world out of the taste! I'd say these are a great flavor of Kashi bars to buy when you want to play it safe. It's crowd-pleasing. I could see myself buying these again.
I'd give Kashi's Honey Almond Flax Chewy Granola Bars a 7/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? The Crazy Food Dude also has this one reviewed.

Which flavor of Kashi Granola Bar do YOU think should be reviewed next? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...