Wednesday, March 19, 2014

REVIEW: Fiber One Trail Mix Chewy Bar

I tend to stick away from trail mix-flavored granola bars; I'm not a big fan of the raisins and the cranberries and all that... Trail mix bars, in my opinion, are just too mainstream. Everybody sells trail mix-flavored granola bars. There are just more interesting flavors out there- why should I waste my time on trail mix bars? Booooooring.
However, on the other side of the equation, I love trying new products. See, if you're the one to review a new product first, then you're like the journalist who's got the scoop before anyone else!
So, when I saw that Fiber One had a NEW Trail Mix Chewy Bar, I was a little conflicted. It was new, but... It was trail mix-flavored, but... It was new....
So, if you can't tell already, my affinity for new food items ultimately won out over my disdain for trail mix-flavored bars. It's just... the NEW! on the box was calling out to me... Plus, these bars are covered in chocolate; how bad can they be? Well... my gut feeling better not fail me this time!
A 6.75 oz. box with five 1.35 oz. bars costs around $3.39.
A 38g bar contains 130 calories. 30 of them being from fat, 3.5g of total fat, 1g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 85mg of sodium, 28g of total carbohydrates, 9g of dietary fiber, 10g of sugar, and 2g of protein.


This is a slightly larger-than-average granola bar, with 9g of fiber (WOW WOW WOW!). The base of this bar is made up of oats, barley flakes, and peanuts. The add-ins of this bar are raisins, cranberries, and square chocolate chunks. There are actually a LOT more add-ins than I would've thought. Plenty of cranberries, plenty of raisins, and WAY more chocolate chunks then I ever would have expected. Then everything is topped off with a chocolate drizzle. (Yay for chocolate!)

This is a chewy and and surprisingly sticky granola bar. The dried raisins and cranberries are awful sweet, and also add another level of stickiness to the texture. What really got me about this bar was its chocolatiness. It was really chocolatey. Not super-duper chocolatey, but a lot for a "healthy" bar like this. The chocolate chunks were thick and added huge bursts of chocolatey deliciousness in every bite. The sweet chocolate flavor goes well with the berries, giving the bar a sort of Raisinet flavor. I liked that very much! All the flavors of the mix-ins in this bar were equally noticeable, except for the peanuts. I couldn't taste the nuts at all.

I know I went into this review saying how much I DON'T like trail mix bars... But this one from Fiber One is a sure exception. Super chocolatey, sweet, and chock full of flavorful, sticky berries, how can I not like this bar? Plus, this is quite healthy for such an indulgent-tasting bar. You should totally pick up a box of these! I mean, these taste like Raisinets, c'mon. I would definitely but these again... I already finished off the box!
I'd give Fiber One's Trail Mix Chewy Bar an 8/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? Crazy Food Dude also has this one reviewed.

What is YOUR favorite Fiber One Bar? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...