Tuesday, March 4, 2014

REVIEW: Fiber One Protein Maple Brown Sugar Granola Cereal

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fiber One Protein Cereal, where you can fart while lifting weights for muscle mass! ...And now that I think about it, that is NOT such a wonderful world to be in. Well, at least this cereal fills you up, with a two-punch combo of protein and fiber. 
Fiber One already created protein bars a long while ago- and protein meal bars more recently, but they just started making protein cereal now. Which seems a little odd to me, considering Fiber One started out as a cereal company in the first place... riiight? I dunno. Maybe I should do my research a bit more, but I really don't care. As long as Fiber One is making some protein granola now, I don't mind! Seriously, trying a new granola from one of my favorite food brands is pretty exciting, so without further ado, let's dig in!
A 16.2 oz box costs around $3.39.
A 1 cup serving (55g) contains 220 calories, 50 of them being from fat, 6g of total fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 1.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 3g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 120mg of potassium, 40g of total carbohydrates, 5g of dietary fiber, 16g of sugar, and 6g of protein. Also contains various values of your assorted vitamins and minerals.

This granola cereal is a compilation of broken up Fiber One twigs, crisped rice, pecans, and many oats. Like, a LOT more oats than I imagined there would be in a Fiber One cereal. I mean, oats are good for you and all, but they seem kind of calorie-dense, if you ask me. But then again, this is not THE MOST low-calorie cereal around. But hey, with 5g of fiber and 6g of protein (which really isn't that much for a PROTEIN cereal, Fiber One), I think we can forgive the cereal guys this one time.
Anyway, this cereal is very crunchy dry, but I'm sure that comes as no surprise. If your granola is all soft and chewy when you take it out of the box, something's... not quite right there. The granola has a brown sugar-esque coating that gives the granola another layer of crunch- like the feeling you get from eating Honey Smacks. This granola has a honey-like tone that reminds me of Fiber One's Honey Squares... shudder. Also, the cereal tasted a bit burnt at first. Just slightly, but still. This made it a bit hard for me to enjoy this granola completely at the beginning, but eventually I got used to it and didn't notice the icky honey flavor or the burnt taste. Overall, this is a rather good cereal dry. Very sweet and hearty.

Eaten with milk, this cereal remains relatively crunchy the whole way through. However, after awhile, the brown sugar coating falls off, so you're left with uncoated oats, fiber twigs, and crisped rice. Yum. But don't get me wrong- the cereal still tasted good- and the after-milk was sweet. And without the coating over the cereal, one can get a better taste for the nutty tones that the pecans deliver to the mix. Speaking of pecans, they were cut into really small pieces, like diced, really, so they didn't provide much of a flavor or feel, texturally speaking. I think Fiber One would've been better off if they cut the pecans in thin slices or something. Also, the huge ton of oats sinks to the bottom of the granola if not eaten fast enough, so be prepared for a treasure trove of oats once you hit the bottom of your bowl.

Overall, this was a satisfactory cereal. Not as good as I had previously hoped, but it was alright. Not so tasty as I thought it was going to be, but maybe I was just anticipating waaaay to much. Also, there are just other better, tastier granola cereals out there- ones with more protein too. There's just no denying that. But, if I focus real hard on just this cereal alone- not trying to compare it to other ones I love so much -I think I can with the utmost certainty say this is a sweet, brown sugary, yummily crunchy granola cereal with a great amount of fiber and a good amount of protein. However, I dispute the inclusion of "maple" in this granola's name- I tasted honey more than anything. Also, maybe Fiber One should lay off the oats and add in more pecans- this time sliced instead of diced, please. Overall, if you love Fiber One, and want a brown sugary granola that balances out its amount of fiber and protein, then this is the cereal for you! I could see myself buying this again once in a half moon or so.
I'd give Fiber One's Protein Maple Brown Sugar Granola Cereal a 7/10.

What do YOU think of Fiber One's new granola cereals? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...