Tuesday, November 12, 2013

REVIEW: Fiber One Protein Peanut Butter Chewy Bar





Peanut butter seems almost like a cliche' protein bar flavor, doesn't it? I mean, what major protein bar brands DON'T have a PB-flavored product, huh? Name ONE! Yup, betcha' can't! Why is that? Is it because peanut butter is an easy flavor to incorporate into workout bars? Is it because PB is known for it's protein capacity? Or is it just because peanut butter is a popular flavor here in the West???
Well, I'm sure any of these statements could be considered the right answer. Anyway, today I'll be reviewing Fiber One's Peanut Butter Protein Bar. One box containing five 1.17 oz bars costs around 3 to 5 dollars.
One 33g bar contains 140 calories, 60 of them being from fat, 6g of total fat, 3.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 140mg of sodium, 18g of total carbohydrates, 5g of dietary fiber, 7g of sugar, and 6g of protein.


This is a teensy bar, which is covered in chocolate from all directions. Nice and smooth... And smells chocolatey as well! Let's dig in.

This bar is chewy, yet crunchy at the same time. It's mostly crisped rice on the inside, with a couple oats thrown in here and there. I'd imagine there'd be peanuts in here too, but throughout the whole bar, I didn't catch a single one. Wellllll. I've been gyped up on nuts before with these Fiber One bars. Once I ate through a whole Coconut Almond bar of theirs without receiving a SINGLE almond. It was disappointing. So I'm not even really sure if this bar is SUPPOSED to have nuts inside too. If so, I was gyped alright...
Yup, I JUST CHECKED. I just checked on the page for these bars, and they're supposed to have ROASTED PEANUTS. I didn't get ANY, roasted or otherwise. Hmph! I declare heresy!
In my previous Fiber One Protein review, I compared this bar in question to a Butterfinger, but now I'm really thinking I should've gone with Reese's instead. I think I thought this bar was so much like a Butterfinger because of the way the chocolate coating flakes off the top of this bar, much like how a Butterfinger is all flaky too (But in a completely DIFFERENT way). See, this bar's flakiness is actually quite irritating, as you can't really pull it apart piece by piece or anything without some of the chocolate falling off and getting on the surface of the desk- or whatever you're eating it on. It makes for a messy bar. And then you look like a goon because you're getting minuscule chocolate pieces all over your desk and you try to clean them off but they streak and the teacher looks at you and has this face that says this is Italian just say fricken va bene and go one period in here without picking apart some bar and writing notes down about it when you should be writing down stuff like come stai and ciao and stuff. So that's a bit annoying. I mean, the chocolate coating tastes pretty good, and it TOTALLY melts in your mouth, but can it PLEASE stay ON the bar?
See, the chocolate coating wouldn't adhere to the bar because of the thin layer of peanut butter right underneath it. For some reason or another, this layer was covered in what I THINK was powdered milk (I mean, it IS under the ingredients list, so that's what I figured anyway), which kept the chocolate from sticking. Why do they do this to me?! Why, Fiber One!
Convenience issues aside, this is a fine tasting bar. It's sweet, and reminds me of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in taste. But unlike a Reese's- which is complete and utter peanut butter on the inside- this bar has a thin, thin layer of the stuff. But it's just enough to bring the addition of  PB creaminess and taste to the bar. The chocolate coating is creamy and melts in the mouth, although I admit it tasted a bit mild this time. The inside of the bar was really quite boring though, without a peanut here and there to spice things up. There were SUPPOSED to be peanuts in here, but... ya know.
Overall, this isn't my favorite protein bar from Fiber One, but I enjoyed it enough that I'm not against finishing the box off. Would I buy this flavor again? Maaaaybe... But the Coconut Almond is still the best as far as I'm concerned, and there are just so many other peanut butter flavored bars out there I gotta try- it'll most likely be a looooong time before I purchase these again.
I'll give this Fiber One Peanut Butter Bar a 6.5/10.

What Fiber One products are YOU sold on? You tell me! Write down in the comments below.

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...