Wednesday, November 6, 2013

REVIEW: General Mills Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Bar

We started some statewide testing or other at school today, and since the tests were, like, to put it simplyyyy.... at a dumb-dumb level, I had some time left over between tests to squeeze in a quick review. Hooray! Today I'll be reviewing this Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Bar. I got it when my friend and I were in line for breakfast at the cafeteria. She could get one type of cereal bar, a Pop-Tart, or a canister of cereal for 10 cents more to make her breakfast of cereal and milk an official "meal," so she let me pick something out. Since I LOVE Cinnamon Toast Crunch with a passion, I thought I'd try this.Technically, this doesn't have an official price. Not only was it a gift, but I don't even think these are available outside of school cafeterias. Seriously, I even looked it up online. Isn't even a website for em'. Can't imagine one would cost more than a dollar though. You know, keep within the typical student's budget... So, if you're a high schooler/middle schooler, or even an elementary schooler reading this blog, this review's for you.

One 40g bar has 150 calories, 30 of them being from fat, 3g of total fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 115mg of sodium, 30g of total carbohydrates, 3g of dietary fiber, 8g of sugar, and 3g of protein. Also contains 20% of your daily value of calcium. Moo.

40g isn't too bad a size for a snack bar, and taking this one out of the wrapper, it looks pretty big. But don't be fooled- it's actually rather airy and light. BIG SURFACE AREA!!! ...eeeeetty-bitty density.
This bar is a hodgepodge of oats, crisped rice, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch pieces. It's covered in some cinnamon-flecked coating, making everything real goldish-brownish in appearance.
Taking the sticky bar apart, I ate a clump and found it to have a crisp-chewy texture with a sweet kind of cinnamon taste. Sadly, the initial sweet-cinnamoniness experience died down over time, and it soon tasted mild and I started to lose interest. The crispiness comes mostly from the crisped rice. What really struck me as odd was that the Cinnamon Toast Crunch pieces were really chewy. Almost like they couldn't handle the sticky, sugary coating and just became flimsy during processing or something. There was a subtle taste of oats underlying all of this.
Thinking about it, this was a nice bar. It's NOTHING compared to the actual cereal its made with, but it's okay. Still doesn't taste at all like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Probably wouldn't even be able to make the connection if you had me blindfolded. I mean, it's cinnamony alright, but not as sweet or as crunchy as my beloved CTC. But still acceptable. It's not an impressive cereal bar- just a run-of-the-mill thing, really- but it works. At least it gave me something to do during test time!
I think I'll give this a 5.5/10.

Well students, have you bought this bar during your trips to the cafeteria? Did YOU like it? Tell me in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...