Tuesday, November 5, 2013

REVIEW: Fiber One Protein Coconut Almond Chewy Bars

Fiber One's recently been adding protein to their chewy snack bars, which are already full of, well... fiber. Doy.
So far, they've released three different flavors, and, so far, I've tried three. But the one I will be reviewing in depth this time is the Coconut Almond variety.
This flavor immediately caught my eye because of my affinity for coconut... and almonds. Sounds a lot like an Almond Joy bar, right? That's what I thought too.
One box, which includes five 33g bars, costs around 3-5 dollars.
One tiny bar has 140 calories, 60 of them being from fat, 6g of total fat, 4g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 115mg of sodium, 17g of carbohydrates, 5g of fiber, 7g of sugar, and 6g of protein.
Despite "protein" being in the name, this bar only contains 12% of your needed daily value. That's not a lot. But this bar DOES also contain 20% of your fiber, which is pretty high for such a teeny bar. What I don't like about this product is that it contains 19% of your saturated fat, which is really quite high. But I suppose this high bad fat content could partially be due to the coconut, which is high in, well, saturated fats. But I heard the saturated fats found in coconut are supposed to be good for you... I'm not really sure if the kind in this bar is "good" or "bad!" Hmm... Now I'm curious. Oh well... Moving on...
Small bar, am I right? Well, big or not, there is a chocolate coating on each and every side of this protein bar. On the inside is a mixture of crisped rice, shredded coconut, and a few oats here and there. There are also real, whole almonds every bite or so on the inside as well.
The chocolate coating was sweet and melted in my mouth quite pleasantly. One reviewer on another site complained the chocolate was too mild, but I didn't even THINK about that until I read the post. I don't think it's true. I mean, it's not like Hershey's quality chocolate, obviously, but it comes through.

I would compare the feel of eating this Fiber One bar to the feel of a Quakers granola bar, what with the standard crisped rice-oats mix. And the chewy, yet slightly crunchy texture. However, the addition of coconut really makes this bar stand out. It gives it a taste that's unique. Wait, scratch that... This bar tastes incredibly like an Almond Joy. Really, it does! It's not totally CRAMMED with sweet, moist coconut, but there's enough of the exotic.... fruuuuit...? (fruit, I'm gonna say coconut's a fruit...) to carry the flavor.
I think this bar wouldn't be quite so interesting without the occasional almond here n' there to spice things up. The almonds are really tasty, and just add to the "Almond Joy" vibe. I can dig it!
Anyway, this bar was really sweet, and tasted A LOT like an Almond Joy. Not exactly, but the tastes ARE close. Being a HUGE fan of Almond Joy- and one who can't eat them without getting LITERALLY HUGE -this was a real tasty bar. If you're not a big fan of coconut, you might want to try one of Fiber One's other protein bars instead (Spoiler Alert: the Caramel Nut is comparable in taste to a Snickers, and the Peanut Butter is close to a Butterfinger). But if you're an Almond Joy fan who's looking for a healthy alternative, here it is!
The one thing I don't like about this bar is the small size. I mean, it really is small. The taste is good, but you can probably plow through this bar in a few bites. Just a warning, I guess.
I'd like to give this Fiber One Protein Chewy Bar a 7.5/10!

Have you tried any of Fiber One's Protein Bars? How about this one? What did you think of them? Let me know!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...