Monday, November 25, 2013

REVIEW: Werther's Caramel Coffee, Sugar Free Caramel Apple, and Sugar Free Original Hard Candies

Ahhh... Old people. What are the signs you're turning old? Grey hair? Wrinkles? Loss of hearing? Eyesight? Muscle mass? Going to bed at 4:30 in the afternoon? Stocking your fridge to no end? Crow's feet? Grandkids?
How about buying a whole bunch of hard candy and leaving it out on the kitchen table just to let it sit fester, and hopefully wait SOMEONE comes along to eat all it. (I mean, YOU sure can't... You probably have some health complication that keeps you from eating anything remotely sugary, as an old person).
Yessir. For some reason or another, old people have an affinity for buying hard candy (and even candy in general), whether they're going to eat it or not. While over at my G-ma's and G-pa's for Sunday dinner, there was- guess what? -hard candy in clear glass dishes sitting on the table. Like always. But my grandparents are the kind of old people who aren't supposed to eat hard candy.Or they just choose not to. But yet they have it anyway. And so the omnipresent candy sits, never diminishing in size.
So I decided to take it upon myself to eat some of that ever-opposing candy. It was the least I could do, really.
And while I was at it, why not get in a decent review from these candies as well? So here you go: a three-in-one review of different varieties of Werther's Hard Candies. We got Caramel Coffee, Sugar Free Caramel Apple, and Sugar Free Original. I'm not sure how much a bag of each of these would cost, as I got these little morsels from my grandmother.

A 5-piece serving (19g) of the Sugar Free Werther's flavors (like the Caramel Apple and Original candies I tasted) contains 40 calories, 10 of them coming from fat, 1.5g of total fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, <5mg of cholesterol, 55mg of sodium, 15g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 0g of sugar, 14g of sugar alchohols, and 0g of protein.
A 4-piece serving (16g) of the regular Werthers' flavors (like the Caramel Coffee I had) contains 70 calories, 10 of them being from fat, 1g of total fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, <5mg of cholesterol, 15g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 12g of sugar, and 0g of protein.

Anyway, let's go through these flavors one-by-one, starting with the Sugar-Free Original...

Werther's Original Sugar Free Caramel Hard Candies: This candy is hard and smooth, and a solid tan in color. It had a creamy, buttery taste, almost like butterscotch- but then again, this is a caramel candy, so the taste I got was probably caramel. Eh, it tasted like a combination of both butterscotch and caramel- and there's nothing wrong with that. This candy was surprisingly sweet, despite being sugar-free, but I guess with enough sugar alchohol, anything is possible. But anyway, pick up this flavor of Werther's and you have a guilt-free classic caramel fix. Very sweet, very caramely! Almost buttery in taste. And it even had a creamy texture to it.Nice!  I'd give it an 8/10.

Werther's Original Caramel Apple Sugar Free Hard Candies: This variety of Werther's had a mellow olive-green and tan swirl, and was also hard and smooth. Like the Sugar Free Original Caramels, this flavor doesn't taste sugar-free, but rather sweet. It has a very realistic apple-y taste, which almost overpowers the caramel-y taste in this candy I really had to purse my lips and try to get the caramel component to shine. I liked this flavor of Werther's, but I would've liked it even better if  there was more caramel to balance out the apple. Other than that, this flavor was also very yummy. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Werther's Original Caramel Coffee Hard Candies: Lastly, this candy brought to us by Werther's has a dark brown and tan swirl. It is (total shocker) hard and smooth. Out of all three of the candies, this was definitely my favorite. Maybe I'm a bit biased, since I fall for coffee-flavored sweets like nobody's business, but I really think this was the best of the best. The coffee taste wasn't too powerful- it added just a slight bitterness that complemented all of the sweetness in this candy and brought the flavor out even more. It tasted like coffee with lots and lots of sugar- and maybe some milk, since this candy was also very creamy in texture. I guess the only complaint I have is that this is supposed to be Caramel Coffee, and I wouldn't have even guessed there was a caramel part if no one had told me. But ohhhh well, this was still an awesome flavor. I wonder if I liked it so much out of the three because it's NOT sugar free? I suppose I'd have to pick up the sugar free version of this flavor and compare and contrast the two sometime to test my hypothesis. Anyway, for now, 9/10!

What flavors of Werther's do YOU like? Or how about DON'T? Tell us what you think down below in the comments!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...