Saturday, November 30, 2013

REVIEW: Fiber One Original Cereal

Here's another review of a product that I'm already familiar with! Yay! No hard judgements!
But in all seriousness, I think it's only fair that I "review" Fiber One Original to let you all know how it tastes in detail. I mean, I could stand here and say, "Fiber One is good! Fiber One is good!" but it wouldn't take long for somebody to say, "WHY is it good? And what if only you're the only one who thinks it's good? What if there's something about it that everyone else hates?" And while Fiber One's original cereal may contain certain qualities some people may not care for, it will also contain other qualities people will love. At least I think so. A 1 lb. 0.2 oz. box costs around $3.98.

A 1/2 cup (30g) serving contains 60 calories, 10 of them being from fat, 1g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 0.5g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 110mg of sodium, 110mg of potassium, 25g of total carbohydrates, 14g of dietary fiber, 0g of soluble fiber, 14g of insoluble fiber, 0g of sugar, and 2g of protein. Also contains many different values of your assorted vitamins and minerals.
So, what's to love about Fiber One, you might ask? Well, certainly not its APPEARANCE, that's for sure. I mean, this stuff looks like goat feed. Or hamster pellets. Not so attractive. This is NOT the cereal to eat around others because it garners such strange looks. People ask you if you're eating gerbil food. Yeah, not fun. But you persevere through their comments and state its Fiber One cereal and offer them some, and they'll say, "Oh wow, that's pretty good!" At least in my experience, anyways.
People I've shared this cereal with compare Fiber One in taste to Cheerios, but I don't know if they taste exactly alike. I guess maybe a little. The texture is pretty similar, and so is the flavor. I guess one surprising fact about Fiber One is that its actually rather sweet, despite it having no sugar. How is this possible? ASPARTAME.
...I don't know if you're gasping in protest right now or saying to yourself, "A-Sparta-Mayyyy... I see. Alright. Let's move on here." Aspartame WILL turn some artificial sweetener haters off FOR SURE, I know it, but I know other people will look past this or simply not care and enjoy the fact they can eat a sweet cereal that's actually, in fact, sugar-free and low-consequence. I myself don't really mind the fact Fiber One is sweetened with aspartame. If it weren't, I'd most likely just add some myself. But unlike most "good for you" cereals, I don't really feel inclined to add any extra sweetness to my bowl of cereal in the morning if THIS is what I'm eating. Fiber One is naturally sweet. Well, okay- that's kind of an oxymoron considering aspartame is in NO WAY natural, butttt.... you get what I mean.
On it's own, Fiber One is crunchy, and pretty dry, to be frank. Fiber One isn't very fatty, so it doesn't have an oily texture to keep it at least LOW on the dryness scale, like some sweet cereals do. And it also isn't covered in some sugary coating. But it's sweet and pretty hearty. In a way, it does taste pretty similar to Cheerios. I'd say Fiber One is sweeter than regular Cheerios, but it isn't glazed and super-sweet like Honey Nut Cheerios. It's somewhere in between. It's sure to be at a sweetness level that most people will be content with. But when it breaks down in your mouth the texture of Fiber One gets a bit... fiber-y. I don't how to describe it. I guess I should but I don't. But it's like you've got fiber in it's rawest form. It's like fiber powder. I guess that's what you get when one small serving- just a little over an ounce- contains more than half of your daily fiber needs. There isn't a bitter fiber aftertaste though. And I think I'd much rather have the fiber-y feel than the fiber-y taste.
I prefer to eat my Fiber One with some cinnamon sprinkled with it. Then it's like Cinnamon Cheerios! But then the cereal tastes extra-dry. Fiber One is most preferable in milk, since the moistness of the milk combats the cereal's dryness. Plus, Fiber One is a cereal that stays crunchy in milk, something I know is much appreciated by many cereal lovers. And like I said before, Fiber One is pretty sweet on its own, so not only do you have a healthy bowl of cereal, you also have a tasty one at that.
So, Fiber One Original ain't much to look at, but don't let the unappealing appearance scare you away- It's actually a much sweeter, solid cereal than you'd think. Especially for a healthy cereal. Fiber One is probably one of the actual super-healthy cereals I wouldn't mind eating plain for a snack or something like that. It's hearty and sweet and rather filling. It's not as bland as you might think. Plus, it's a delicious cereal in milk! And it tastes good in cinnamon, which is one of my favorite flavors (Cinnamon Toast Crunch, anyone???). While Fiber One is not as sugary-sweet as kiddie cereals, it's certainly not as boring in taste as seriously healthy adult cereals. It's a cereal that I enjoy eating, but not one I would look at as a dessert. Which I guess makes Fiber One so appealing. It can be eating anytime of the day. I like it for breakfast, I like it for a snack. I wouldn't mind eating it for lunch or dinner either, but then again I'm a cereal nut. I would eat cereal anytime, but that's besides the point. The point is that Fiber One's Original is a healthy cereal I actually like eating without having to dress it up with sweetener or anything. It's a tasty, enjoyable cereal and you can look forward to me buying it at the store whenever we're out of it, or even close to being so. Like I said, the only things I don't like about Fiber One is it's dryness when eaten plain and the fact that I wouldn't eat this as a treat. Hey, it's good, but it's not going to replace my Cinnamon Toast Crunch when it comes to dessert time, that's for sure!
I'm going to have to give Fiber One Original a 9/10.

What do YOU think of Fiber One Original? What cereals from Fiber One do YOU like best? Let me know your thoughts down in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...