Thursday, November 21, 2013

REVIEW: Progresso's Rich & Hearty Chicken & Homestyle Noodles

It's that time of the year again! Soup time! Winter's about, so soup is out! This is my very first soup review, but don't think I'm "soup ignorant" or whatever. I mean, I've probably had about three soups so far this week, and it really beats me as to why I haven't reviewed ANY yet. Perhaps I just figured that soup reviews aren't as "cool" as cereal reviews or protein bar reviews, but I wanted to keep things interesting around on here, so here we go! A sooooup review! Ooooooh! Here it is... Progresso's Rich & Hearty Chicken & Homestyle Noodles. One 18.5 oz can will cost around $1.50.

A one cup (269g) serving contains 110 calories, 30 of them being from fat, 3g of total fat, 1g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 1g of monounsaturated fat, 25mg of cholesterol, 690mg of sodium, 340mg of potassium, 14g of total carbohydrates, less than 1g of dietary fiber, 2g of sugar, and 7g of protein. Also contains 25% of the daily recommended value of Vitamin A.

This soup is an amalgamation of chicken cubes, egg noodles, carrots, celery, and chicken broth. I usually tend to stick to Progresso's brand of light soups, but this one isn't a calorie-catastrophe either. At 220 calories a can, I figured I could also afford to have the leftover chicken breast in the fridge (But don't let all that poultry chicken you out!!! Wawawaaaa). I wonder what makes the light soup so much lighter than all the rest? I mean, what does Progresso do to make their "light" Chicken Noodle lower in calories than this Chicken Noodle? As I poured the can of this soup out into a small pot, I looked at all the ingredients coming out and hypothesized this variety of Chicken Noodle has more noodles than the light brand, which I remembered as having much more carrots- probably to fill out the space left behind from less noodles. These noodles also seem thicker.
After it had warmed, I added some black pepper to my soup and dug in. I have to say, this soup is tasty, but I'm not surprised. It's a bit hard to mess up chicken noodle, isn't it? But I'll admit this soup definitely had a richer feel than the light soups I am so used to. The broth was very chicken-y and full of flavor, and had a creamy taste even though it wasn't literally a creamy soup- get what I mean? This was a slightly thicker broth than one might be used to, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Although this soup, like most, is a total salt lick, it doesn't taste very salty. I'm not saying it's bland though! Just not salted to the extreme... The carrots were soft, and the little pieces of celery didn't offer much flavor but were well-appreciated anyway. There could've been more celery though. There were only a few tiny pieces in the whole bowl. There was a good amount of chicken in here, although the cubes weren't as soft or tender as they could've been. The noodles were thick and soft, but didn't offer too much flavor. All in all, this was a solid Chicken Noodle product, but nothing special. I'd buy this again, maybe, but it didn't leave any bigger impression on me than Progresso's Light Chicken Noodle, so then again, maybe not. Either way, this is a tasty soup and I'd give it a 7.5/10. Not incredible, but it's definitely Chicken Noodle done right.


What soups from Progresso do YOU prefer? Write down in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...