Friday, November 15, 2013

REVIEW: Subway's New Garlic Bread

Subway's released a new type of bread for a limited time only: Garlic Bread (not to be confused with their Roasted Garlic Bread, which is on their website although I've certainly never seen it in stores). Anyway, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE GARLIC ("Oh ho, remind me never to kiss YOU!") Yes, despite it's bad rep for smelly breath, I enjoy putting fresh garlic in and on anything: pizzas, spaghetti sauce... Well, those are pretty much the only two opportunities where I CAN use fresh garlic. But I put garlic powder on pretty much anything. Pork, steak, bread, spinach, okra, hot dogs, soup... Heck! I'll put garlic powder on the aforementioned pizza, which has fresh garlic on it already. That's just how I am.
So if you can't tell, I was honestly very excited to hear about Subway's new Garlic Bread, which is essentially  their Italian Bread with dehydrated garlic and various other spices put on top.So last time I went to Subway, I ordered an Egg White, Black Forest Ham, & Cheese Sandwich (my usual) with this new bread. Subway's Garlic Bread doesn't add any up-charge to your sandwich.


So if this bread is freshly baked, does that mean the others aren't???

One six-inch serving of this bread contains 210 calories, 20 of them being from fat, 2.5g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 540mg of sodium, 40g of total carbohydrates, 2g of dietary fiber, 0g of sugar, and 7g of protein. Also contains 30% of the daily recommended calcium value.
I was actually reading that this bread had been recalled from Subway back in September because it was apparently "contaminated." Does anyone know anything about that? Wouldn't it be a little strange if every other town in the country just happened to remove all their Garlic Bread from Subway, and mine was the only one not to, and just continued to sell contaminated bread to its citizens? I'm 99% sure that's not the case here, because it's been over two months since that whole contamination business, and I don't think a town like Kenosha would have some huge supply of Subway Garlic Bread that lasted that long without having to order some more in, right? But enough talk.. Let's dig in!
As I watched the Subway employee create my sandwich, I couldn't help but notice how the Garlic Bread bounced back up as he patted it down to fit the ingredients in. The bread was flecked with yellow and black spices (I figured out the yellow flecks were corn meal- not sure about the black specks), and is darker than Subway's Italian but lighter than their 9-Grain Wheat, which is what I usually order.
Now, if you were expecting this bread to taste like ACTUAL garlic bread, you would be sadly mistaken. Although it contains real butter, it's not like it's smeared on the insides and baked with garlic salt on top or anything like that. I couldn't even taste a buttery flavor, really. I even had trouble tasting the actual GARLIC. But this is coming from a girl who puts waaaaaay to much garlic powder on food than socially acceptable. Maybe my taste buds are too out of tune to detect only sprinkles of garlic. I like it strong.
Nevertheless, there was a slight spice to this bread that I very much enjoyed. I can't quite put my tongue on the mild flavor, but I found it tasty. Maybe I could taste the garlic on a subconscious level, so even though I didn't really acknowledge it, deep down somewhere I recognized the taste, thus enjoying the bread as much as I did. This bread was also nice and soft, and a great change of pace from my standard 9-Grain Wheat. In fact, I think I liked this bread better!
So, even though this doesn't taste like garlic bread, or even all that much like garlic for that matter, this bread had a subtle seasoning that made it a solid and agreeable choice. I'd definitely order it again- which is a good idea since it's only available for a limited time, and then it's gone. I actually think I'll miss this bread once it's gone.
Overall, tasty! Possibly my favorite bread option from Subway (The Flatbread might have it beat though). But if you had me blindfolded, I wouldn't have noticed the garlic. I wouldn't have said, "Oh yup, this is garlicky alright." But despite all this...I'll give this bread an 8.5/10. That's a really high score, considering the flavor BARELY matches the name. I probably should place it lower, but I just liked it that much! I really hope Subway makes this bread a permanent addition to their stores.

Need more reviews from those who chewed? Brand Eating has also given their thoughts.

Have you tried Subway's new Garlic Bread? What'd ya' think? Let me know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...