Sunday, March 16, 2014

REVIEW: Kashi Heart to Heart Oat Flakes & Blueberry Clusters Cereal

I love Kashi cereals, and I'm always looking for ones to try next. So, when my friend relayed onto me how much she liked their "blueberry kind", as she so described it, I jumped at the chance to try the cereal I think she was talking about. That cereal would be Kashi's Heart to Heart Oat Flakes & Blueberry Clusters
A 13.4 oz. box costs around $4.09.
A 1 cup serving of cereal (55g) contains 200 calories, 15 of them being from fat, 2g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 0.5g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 135mg of sodium, 115mg of potassium, 44g of total carbohydrates, 4g of dietary fiber, 12g of sugar, and 6g of protein.

You know something about this cereal? More specifically, the way it is packaged? See, while the "oat flakes" part of the title on the box barely takes up any space whatsoever, the "blueberry clusters" component is written in HUGE, gargantuan writing!!! (Well, compared to the "oat flakes" print, anyway). However, the actual cereal couldn't be any different from the title design. See, while there is an amass of oat flakes, there are rarely any blueberry clusters to be had. See that little bit of clusters I have pictured right up there? Yeah, that's all I could manage to find without sticking my whole arm up the box. All the clusters are that tiny too. If I were Kashi, I'd switch the font sizes for "oat flakes" and "blueberry clusters." I know the blueberry clusters are what's gonna draw people in, but seriously now...
Anyway, this cereal has a blueberry, Nutrigrainy type of smell to it and also, when eaten dry, a blueberryish, Nutrigrainy taste. It's sweet, and tastes a LOT like sugary blueberries. The oat flakes are crunchy and crisp, and also very hearty. I was pretty surprised how sweet they were, considering it was a Kashi product, which can be hit or miss on the sweetness vibe. The blueberry clusters, although very small they were, amped up the flavor of sweet blueberries ten-fold. Or something. The clusters were quite sweeter than the oats, let's put it at that.

When eaten in milk, the cereal remains somewhat crunchy throughout- I'd say it remains crisp, at the very least. The blueberry taste is still there- but mostly drizzles off into the milk. And while I do like the taste of blueberry milk, that leaves the flakes to become bland and bran-like. And then, the oat clusters all sink to the bottom of the bowl, so you're left with a bowl of boring bran flakes for the majority of your eating time, essentially.

Overall, this was a tasty cereal dry, but not so much in milk. Eaten dry, the cereal is sweet and tastes very much of blueberry- even reminds me of blueberry strudel. But when eaten with milk, the blueberry-sweetness icing droops off the cereal, leaving just plain ol' flakes in its place. The problem is, this isn't a cereal that would immediately strike me (or anyone, for that matter) as an eating-dry-as-a-snack cereal. I don't think even Kashi would've thought of this cereal as a cereal to be eaten dry. But still, this cereal isn't terrible in milk, and at least it's not one of those healthy cereals that are boring all the time. I would suggest trying this cereal once, especially if you like blueberries. I think I might buy this cereal again....
I'd give Kashi's Heart to Heart Oat Flakes & Blueberry Clusters Cereal a 7/10.

What Kashi cereal do YOU think should be reviewed next? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...