Friday, March 14, 2014

REVIEW: Stride Sour Patch Kids Red Berry Gum

Sour Patch Kids are definitely one of my favorite candies- I'd be scrunched to find someone who DOESN'T like these chewy, fruity, sour-than-sweet, tiny children of deliciousness.
Wait, no. That doesn't sound quite right.
Anywho, even if you were to take my weird analogies out of the equation, I'm pretty sure we'd ALL agree that Sour Patch Kids are the BOMB. Unfortunately, they're full of sugar. Just chock-full to bursting with the stuff, I kid you not! So, for those of you who have thought you'd have to swear off Sour Patch Kids for eternity and forever, there IS a solution- Sour Patch Kids-flavored gum from Stride. By the wayyyyy... it's sugar-free! Obviously, this gum is certainly an intriguing creation, whether you are looking for the taste of Sour Patch Kids guilt-free, or just are interested in chewing gum that tastes like Sour Patch Kids. 
There are two available flavors of this new candy-esque gum: Red Berry and Lime. Great thought was taking into consideration when selecting which of the two flavors to taste-test first, but eventually I decided on the Red Berry. I think, after weighing out the odds, Red is my favorite Sour Patch flavor. 
A 14-pack of gum costs around $1.29.
A 1 piece serving of gum (1.9g) contains <5 calories, 0g of total fat, 0mg of sodium, 1g of total carbohydrates, 0g of sugars, 1g of sugar alcohol, and 0g of protein.

"REDBERRY, LIKE A MASTER PUPPETEER, YANKS YOUR FACE INTO A TWISTED SOUR PUCKER" is what the inside of the packaging reads. That's kinda weird to think about, y'know. I mean, just imagine all these puppet strings attached all around your face by some evil puppet master, who just twists and twists until your face contorts into some disfigured monstrosity... That can't feel to good either.... *shudder*
...Well, let's get to reviewing!


Each stick of gum is of normal size for Stride products- as in, they're small enough that'd I'd more like to chew on two pieces at once. Each piece is pink in color and is covered with a white dust (most likely the flavoring) and speckled with red dots (most likely more flavoring...?)
When you first pop a piece of this gum into your mouth, it's like, BAM. There it is, the flavor of Sour Patch Kids!!! (Well, the red ones, anyway). The sour is there, as well as the sweet. It was like a sugar free Sour Patch Kids dream! ...Unfortunately, this amazing flavor that is completely identical to Sour Patch Kids fades away in an instant, mellowing out into a much sweeter flavor. Now, don't get me wrong, the Sour Patch mantra is "Sour, Sweet, Gone", but yet, I can't help but feel that the pucker-your-face sour flavor could've lasted for a while longer still. And on top of all this, the lingering sweet taste of the gum dies out after about ten minutes- and even then, I was giving this gum's most mellow moments a fair chance.






Overall, this gum has a LOT of potential. The first few seconds of chewing proved that someone can have a sugar free gum that does INDEED taste like Sour Patch Kids. However, Stride needs to work on making that flavor stick. Or at least have the sweet flavor linger on longer than ten minutes. Once the sour flavor leaves (which doesn't take long), there isn't much flavor left. Like I said, this gum has potential. They just need to work out the kinks. I would say try this gum at least, since a lot of my friends like it, despite the short amount of time it actually tastes like Sour Patch Kids. I'd say I'd try this gum again, since I do love the moments it tastes like how its supposed to.
I'd give Stride's Sour Patch Kids Red Berry Gum a 6/10.


What do YOU think of the new Sour Patch Kids gum? Let us know in the comments below!


Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...