Tuesday, January 7, 2014

REVIEW: Fiber One Chocolate Peanut Butter Meal Bar

It's interesting to see what brand names are hopping on the meal bar bandwagon nowadays, but I'd NEVER think to see Fiber One producing them. Sure, Fiber One has made protein bars in the past, and I see nothing weird about that, but meal bars? Like the ones you find near the medicine aisle? Not Fiber One! Fiber One just seems so... commercial, I guess. I don't know. I mean, I'm sure CLIF and Atkins and PowerBar are all plenty commercial too, but at least they were FOUNDED as meal/protein/energy bar companies to begin with. Fiber One just didn't strike me as the kind of brand that would really be serious about making nutritious products like meal bars. Does that make sense? Fiber One cereals and granola bars are nutritious too, but in a different way. In a way that people who aren't TOO serious about nutrition would buy into. Maybe this all sounds just gobbley-gook, so I'll just shut up now.
But anyway, I'm totally glad Fiber One is making meal bars now- don't get me wrong. They make yummy chewy bars, so I'm sure their meal bars have some degree of potential to them as well. The flavors they've released so far are Strawberry Greek Yogurt, Dark Chocolate Almond, and Chocolate Peanut Butter- the last of which I will be reviewing today. A 7.95 oz. box with five 1.59 oz. bars costs around $5.49.

One 45g bar contains 190 calories, 80 of them being from fat, 9g of total fat, 3g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 180mg of sodium, 20g of total carbohydrates, 9g of dietary fiber, 6g of sugar, and 10g of protein. Also contain various values of your assorted vitamins and minerals.

Taking it out of its wrapper, this chocolate-peanut butter scented bar seems rather large, but in actuality doesn't weigh anything over 5 grams more than a regular Fiber One chewy bar. I guess a meal bar doesn't have to be super big though, so long as it's satisfying. This bar is mostly made up of roasted peanuts and soy protein buds, with some rolled oats and chocolate flavored drops here and there. The bottom layer of this bar is made up of a smooth chocolate flavored coating.

The soy protein buds in this bar give a nice crunchy feel to it, but the texture isn't overbearingly hard and is actually quite chewy. The chocolate flavored coating on the bottom and bits on the inside are really mild (like, you have to think about the flavor to notice it), but taste good by themselves if you're willing to take the time to scrap them off or pick them out from the bar. At least the chocolate adds a nice rich and creamy texture to the bar- one that really provides a good counterbalance to the crunchy soy buds. The roasted peanuts in this bar are yummy and hearty in taste, and rather plentiful as well. But overall, this bar tastes more like JUST peanutty instead of all peanut buttery. It doesn't really remind me of the sweet & salty flavor combo or super creamy texture of PB. Granted, a creamy texture is hard to achieve with soy crisps all over the place, but still. 


All in all, Fiber One's Chocolate Peanut Butter Meal Bar wasn't revolutionary, but it was one of the better meal bars I've had in my time, and is still plenty healthy and filling as well. The chocolate element was pretty faint, and the peanut butter component was more of just peanut, but I've definitely found bigger faults in protein bars before. Like when they have that obnoxious, bitter protein taste to it. Bleh... You of those who know what I'm talking about will agree with me. Thankfully, this meal bar doesn't have an awful aftertaste like that. As far as meal bars go, this was actually a solid pick. If I weren't to buy this one again, I'd certainly give Fiber One's other meal bars a try as well.
I'd give Fiber One's Chocolate Peanut Butter Meal Bar a 7/10.

Have YOU tried any of Fiber One's Meal Bars yet? Which one should I try next? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...