Sunday, January 19, 2014

REVIEW: Kellogg's NutriGrain Fruit & Oat Harvest Country Strawberry Bars

Well, looks like I'm on an official quest to review each and every NutriGrain Fruit & Oat Harvest Bar!!! ...Which really isn't hard at all, considering there's only two of them...
So far.
Kellogg's more than likely'll make new Fruit & Oat Harvest Bar flavors, I'm hoping- Maybe a ...Radical Raspberry, or a Grape Goodness? And if you use these names, Kellogg's, I better get a slice of the pie, if you get my drift.
First I tried Kellogg's Blueberry Bliss flavor, and now I'm moving on towards the Country Strawberry. Why did I the blueberry first, may you ask? Well, I like blueberry better than strawberry, plain and simple. The slight tangy, sour undertones of the blueberry just bring more depth to the flavor than the sometimes overly-sweet strawberry can provide. But I don't harbor some strawberry prejudice either, so time to review this Fruit & Oat Harvest Bar's take on the berry.
An 8.8 oz. box with five 1.76 oz. bars costs around $2.50.

A 50g bar contains 180 calories, 45 of them being from fat, 5g of total fat, 2g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 160mg of sodium, 33g of total carbohydrates, 5g of dietary fiber, 15g of sugar, and 4g of protein.

This bar, much like its blueberryish brother, is a decent size, and is made up of an oats mix on the bottom and a fruit jam on the top, layered with more oats sprinkled over the gooey and thick jelly to finish the whole snack off. The oat component is dense, and is feels like a mix between a crunchy Nature Valley granola bar and a soft-baked oats bar. The fairly hard texture of the bar gives it surprisingly firm and non-crumbly make-up.

Something that immediately struck me odd about this bar was the amount of oats on TOP. My exact thoughts were, "Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Whoa... I can't even, like, see the jam, there's so many gosh-darn oats on here."
Well, maybe not my exact thoughts, but still.
What made the generous dosage of oats so odd was the fact that there was significantly LESS oats on top of the Blueberry Bliss version of this bar. I was like, why? WHY?! But when I ate another Country Strawberry bar after the one I reviewed first, I saw that THAT one had about the same amount of oats as the Blueberry Bliss' did. So it turns out this specific bar I  chose to review first just to be the oddball bar. You know, the one that makes it seem like the factory had a product malfunction.
Anyway, the first part of this bar that was brought to me attention quite suddenly afterwards was the jam. The jam was a lot more... flavorful than I expected. I almost want to say it tasted aromatic. It was very sweet, and worlds better than the strawberry jam found in the original NutriGrains. The flavor of the jam struck me as very familiar, and I finally concluded that it HAD to have tasted like the filling in Strawberry PopTarts. The oats were very sweet and yummy as well, adding a hearty texture and taste.

Honestly, I have to say I preferred the Blueberry Bliss Bars over the Country Strawberry ones, but as I stated before blueberry has always got my back over strawberry. I think that MOST people will find the Country Strawberry flavor to be their flavor of choice, going on the taste alone and NOT trying to use any bias. I say this because while this variety of Oat & Harvest Bars reminded me of the taste of Strawberry PopTarts, I didn't think of Blueberry PopTarts AT ALL while trying out the Blueberry Bliss Oat & Harvest Bars. Based on this reasoning, I think it's only fair that I give the Country Strawberry Bars a slightly higher score. However, I still recommend people try BOTH Oat & Harvest Bars and pick their favorite, because both are solidly good. I would buy this flavor of Oat & Harvest again. Same goes for the Blueberry Bliss.
I'd give Kellogg's NutriGrain Fruit & Oat Harvest Country Strawberry Bars a 7.25/10.


Which berry do YOU prefer? Blueberry or Strawberry? Let's have a contest and see which one can receive more votes! (GO BLUEBERRY GOOOOOO!) Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...