Saturday, January 18, 2014

REVIEW: Kashi Crunchy Granola & Seed Chocolate Chip Chia Bars

Time for another Kashi review! Feel's like awhile since we've done one on here! (Took me FOREVER to stomach that box of Cherry Dark Chocolate bars... Blargh. I actually had to get my stepsister to eat a couple FOR me).
But, as the seasons change, Kashi consistently and steadily generates a slow stream of new product after new product, resulting in, I'm sure- new profit. Kashi's made crunchy granola bars before- akin to the ones by Nature Valley and such -but these new ones are different on account of them being Granola & Seed. See, even Kashi underlined it, right in the picture of the box up over yonder! And what seed shall you find in the bars I will be reviewing today? CHIA! C-C-C-Chia! I wonder if little sprouts will shoot out of these things if I sprinkle over them with water...
Anyway, a 7 oz. box with five 1.4 oz. bars costs around $4.09.

A 2 bar serving (40g) contains 180 calories, 60 of them being from fat, 7g of total fat, 2g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 2g of polyunsaturated fat, 3g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 100mg of sodium, 27g of total carbohydrates, 3g of dietary fiber, 9g of sugar, and 3g of protein.

I was a little skeptical with the size of the individuals packages of these Kashi bars at first, since they seemed much to short and much to wide to hold two, long, rectangular granola bars. You could say, "Oh RiRi, you just had the package sideways," but I say nay! No, I DID NOT! See, see?! If you look at the picture right below, the packages did indeed hold two shorter and wider granola bars that could actually break off into four smaller ones. How neat, I guess...? Definitely wasn't expecting it, at least.
Well, these bars are firm, hard, and somewhat brittle. The composition is made up mostly of oats, small rounded seeds, quinoa, and semisweet chocolate chips.

At first, I wasn't sure what to think of these bars- My first thoughts were instantly directed at the seed-like taste of the granola. And like, it's a little weird to bite into a granola bar and feel as if you're eating sunflower seeds, trust me. I probably wouldn't have liked these bars if that seedy taste stuck, but thankfully it faded away after the first couple a bites, giving me more time to focus on the better aspects of these bars, like the chocolatey chocolate chips and sweet granola crunchiness. Unlike most times I'm munching on a Kashi bar, these bars didn't really taste "healthy." They were downright enjoyable! Sweet, hearty, crunchy, and very chocolatey. The additions of both quinoa and chia seeds also gave these bars a rather unique and amiable taste.

And let's not forget how ever-so-handy the idea of four, tinier granola bars is. I was dipping these into peanut butter one day (I know, I know... I had a bad case of the munchies. Don't act like that never happens to YOU, ya' wise guy!), and I thought, "Gee, these bars are real good for dipping into stuff," and that was exactly Kashi's concept in mind with this design. So anyway, as these bars are solidly tasty AND convenient, and definitely one of Kashi's better snack bar products, I would recommend you try them, especially if you care about getting in your Omega-3's, which apparently these bars have a lot of... Or at least some of. I don't exactly know how much of Omega-3's is a lot. No more fish oil, yaaaaaySo yeah, I would definitely be up for purchasing these Kashi bars again.


Have YOU tried Kashi's new Crunchy Granola & Seed Bars? What did YOU think of em'? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...