Friday, December 27, 2013

REVIEW: Kashi Cherry Dark Chocolate Chewy Granola Bar

The first Kashi granola bar I ever reviewed was their Mocha Almond flavor, and since that one wasn't too bad I went on a quest for another tempting sounding flavor to try. Kashi's Cherry Dark Chocolate sounded pretty nice- I mean, aren't chocolate-covered cherries just delicious? -so I settled on buying a box of those. One 7.4 oz. box  with six 1.2 oz. bars costs around $4.09.

A 35g bar contains 120 calories, 15 of them being from fat, 2g of total fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0g of polyunsaturated fat, 0.5g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 65mg of sodium, 24g of total carbohydrates, 4g of dietary fiber, 1g of soluble fiber, 3g of insoluble fiber, 8g of sugar, and 5g of protein.

Here we have a granola bar of regular size made up mostly of oats, with some Kashi soy protein squares and cereal pieces placed here and there in the mix. There is a good amount of dark chocolate chips situated on top of the granola bar, and several big pieces of dried cherries on the inside.

I found my first bite of this granola bar to be very dry and airy in texture- I didn't like it. There was a nice chewy and crunchy combo to the feel, but it wasn't enough to save this bar from its abysmal taste, which was hearty in the sense of  tasting very wheaty and not very sweet at all. The cherry pieces were chewy and juicy, like plump raisins, but they were very tart and didn't add even little bursts of sweetness to the bar- which it clearly so needed. The only positive point of this bar was its dark chocolate chips, which were solid and sweet and had a delicious and strong dark chocolate essence. Unfortunately, the chocolate chips were only on top of the bar, not within, so they weren't always there to add that much-needed pop of sweetness to my bite. There were supposed to be roasted nuts in this bar as well, but I didn't taste any nor see any.

If it isn't obvious enough already, I didn't care much for these Cherry Dark Chocolate Bars from Kashi at all. I found them to be extremely dry and devoid of taste. I'm actually a little worried about what to do with the rest of the bars, since I don't even want to finish the rest of the box off. This is a decently healthy pick when it comes to granola bars, but even when taking that into consideration I can't see these bars as worth it. I wouldn't ever, ever buy this flavor of granola bar again. It was just blah.
I would give Kashi's Cherry Dark Chocolate Chewy Granola Bars a 3/10.

What Kashi granola bar is YOUR favorite? Tell us your thoughts down in the comments section below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...