Saturday, December 21, 2013

REVIEW: Nabisco Oreo Creme Filled Brownies

So, in my recent Chips Ahoy! Brownie Filled Cookie review, I mentioned how my mom received a whole bunch of food freebies from her work. I didn't think the snacks she brought home were related at all- Chips Ahoy!, Oreo, BelVita, Wheat Thins, Nutter Butter... Then I did a little digging and found out ALL of these foods are produced by Nabisco. Did you know that? I sure didn't. It's amazing how many smaller, seemingly unrelated brands are all actually owned by bigger, major corporations. Anyway, today I'm reviewing another freebie Mum received: Oreo Creme Filled Brownies from Nabisco. I thought these sounded really unique and were some experimental, unreleased product that I would get to try before anyone else, but they've actually been out for awhile. Tears...
A 15 oz. box with ten 1.5 oz brownies costs around $4.99.

A 43g brownie contains 190 calories, 80 of them being from fat, 9g of total fat, 3g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 2g of polyunsaturated fat, 3g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 150mg of sodium, 65mg of potassium, 26g of total carbohydrates, <1g of dietary fiber, 15g of sugar, and 2g of protein. Also contains 20% of your daily calcium and 10% of your daily iron values.


This brownie bar is a striking shade of black and white. It's a flat, dense, small rectangle, with an attractive cream drizzle on top accompanied by more cream hidden on the inside.

My first bite of Oreo Brownie found it to be soft and chewy, with a sweet taste of cocoa to it. The flavor and texture reminded me more of chocolate cake than a brownie- in fact, the only brownie-like thing about this treat is its shape. Regularly, this would be a problem, but the taste was really great and I think it was intentionally supposed to be more cake-esque than brownie-esque. The black, cake component had notes of the classic Oreo cookie flavor to it, and was dense and moist. The cream inside was sweet, but a bit odd to me- it was slightly hard, and felt like the frosting on cake after its been refrigerated for a couple days. The drizzle was creamy, but rather mild in my opinion. After finishing my first Oreo Brownie off, I found it to be tasty, but not amazing.

Heading the wise words of The Impulsive Buy, I also tried an Oreo Brownie after I had left it to chill in the fridge for some time, and- Oh my! Was it delicious! My second brownie tasted JUST like refrigerated chocolate cake, which was totally awesome. Sure, my first brownie reminded me of cake some, but the second one REALLY pulled it of. The brownie was more solid chilled, and I couldn't help but think of the cookies n' cream cake I had for my birthday that summer as I ate. The drizzle stood out a lot more, becoming smoother and sweeter in my eyes. And the cream inside was deliciously cold, so not only did it have the semi-hard, semi-soft texture of refrigerated frosting, but also had the proper climate to go along with the feel.
Overall, Nabisco's Oreo Brownies are nice and tasty when consumed straight out of the box, but they are totally bangers when eaten chilled. It's like a portable square of Oreo cake! And what's better than that? You might be disappointed with this product if you are actually anticipating even the most remotest taste of brownies in these things, but you'll definitely be satisfied if you like cake. And Oreos. And both mashed together most of all. Just remember to stick these in the fridge for awhile- because that is when they really shine.
I don't know how certain I would be of me buying these again when I'm at the supermarket, but I think if it were a straight yes-or-no question I'd say "yes." Oreo Brownies are delightful, but being a junkier food, I would probably consider whether I'd want another box of these again or some other sweet when I'm in need of a treat fix. But I suppose that's only right of food bloggers, who must be out to try new foods as much as they can. And anyway, I have no qualms with finishing of the brownies that are left.
I'd give Nasbisco's Oreo Creme Filled Brownies a 7.75/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? The Impulsive Buy also has this one reviewed.

What is YOUR favorite Oreo spin-off product? Post your thoughts in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...