Thursday, December 19, 2013

REVIEW: Nabisco Chewy Chips Ahoy! Brownie Filled Soft Cookies

And now a review for a product to buy during those times when your head says, "I want a cookie," but your heart says, "I want a brownie": Nabisco's Brownie Filled Chewy Chips Ahoy! Cookies. My mom got a package of these hybrid cookies as a freebie from her company, and the only thing I could think of when taking these out of the plastic bag full of free food was, "Uh, WOW. Damnnnnn. These sound mind-blowingly delicious." I mean, as if Chips Ahoy! cookies weren't good enough on their own. Now they are simply the mere SHELL to a fudgy, sweet chocolate brownie. Sounds soooo good! A 9.5 oz. package of cookies costs around $2.39.
An 18g cookie contains 80 calories, 30 of them being from fat, 3.5g of total fat, 2g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0g of polyunsaturated fat, 1g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 80mg of sodium, 65mg of potassium, 12g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 5g of sugar, and less than 1g of protein.

At first glance, we have nothing here but your average, everyday Chips Ahoy! cookies. Small, soft, crumbly little things, with a solid amount of chocolate chips dotting the surface. Of course, we all know that the cookie exterior is nothing but a mere front for the brownie goodness that slumbers inside...

Oh yeah- After I pulled my first cookie apart in half, I was greeted by the deep cocoa tones of a fudge brownie. It is here that I saw that the actual cookie component of these morsels is rather thin- nothing but a mere layer. The brownie part is obviously thicker and takes up more space than the cookie part.
 

I took my first bite of these cookies, which were chewy and melted away in my mouth. Focusing on the cookie elements first, I found the chocolate chips to be soft and melty- like chocolate that's sat out for awhile. The chocolate chips used here are unlike the ones I find so often in granola bars, which are more solid in texture. But chocolate chips are bound to get melty once you bake them, huh? I guess that was the case here... Anyway, the chocolate chips were pretty sweet, but not the best chips I've tasted. They added a nice accent to the cookie, but they certainly aren't meant to be the stars of the show here. The rest of the cookie section is displayed quite nicely here, and doesn't taste any different from Chips Ahoy! regular cookie recipe.
The foremost part of these cookies is meant to be the brownie filling, of course. It's the REAL star- the quality that makes these Chips Ahoy! stand out from all the others created by the company so far. And how was the brownie part, you might ask? Well, it was definitely chocolately- it had a strong, sweet taste of cocoa, but not of fudge, like how brownies usually are. I'd compare the filling to these things more closely to chocolate cake than brownies. The filling is crumbly and not as dense as a brownie. These cookies still felt rich to me, but probably wouldn't have been quite as rich to someone who's used to eating cookies and/or brownies more often than myself. Still tasted good, just not QUITE like what it was named after. The insides also had a weird aftertaste on some occasions, like they used too much oil to make these, which made me think even more of chocolate cake. I'm sure the act of using too much oil can occur in both cake AND brownies, but I dunno. The aftertaste just made me think of cake.

So, these brownie-filled cookies from Chips Ahoy! were good, but not fantastic. The idea of filling a cookie with a brownie is pretty awesome, and the taste was pretty awesome too, but it tasted more like cake than brownie. Plus, there was a weird aftertaste coming from the brownie filling every now and again too, which kind of put me off. The texture was more crumbly and airy than I would've expected of a brownie as well. The actual cookie element was tasty, but not any different than Chips Ahoy's regular cookies. There cookies were nice and all, just not as great as they could've been. I wouldn't buy these again since I would only buy junky sweets if I REALLY liked them, and these just aren't worth it.
I'd give Chips Ahoy! Brownie Filled Soft Cookies a 6.25/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? The Impulsive Buy, Brand Eating, and Junk Food Guy all have this reviewed.

What do YOU think of Nabisco's Chips Ahoy! Brownie Filled Soft Cookies! Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...