Saturday, December 28, 2013

REVIEW: General Mills Frosted Toast Crunch Cereal

I find Cinnamon Toast Crunch to be amazingly delicious- to me, it's the end-all-be-all of cereals. And Peanut Butter Toast Crunch is great too. And now they're coming out with Chocolate Toast Crunch! But before I get my chance to review that, I might as well go ahead and try out General Mills Frosted Toast Crunch. Described as "artificially flavored frosted vanilla squares dusted with cinnamon," one 12.3 oz. box of cereal costs around $2.99.

A 3/4 cup (30g) serving contains 120 calories, 30 of them being from fat, 3g of total fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 1g of polyunsaturated fat, 1.5g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 170mg of sodium, 50mg of potassium, 24g of total carbohydrates, 2g of dietary fiber, 9g of sugar, and 1g of protein.

Frosted Toast Crunch looks a lot like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, only with a white and generously applied sugary coating as opposed to the usual cinnamon-sugar coating/swirl you would find on CTC. Other than that, Frosted Toast Crunch is very similar in appearance to its predecessor, with its square shape and tiny ridges along the surface of each piece of cereal.

Opening up the package of cereal, I was greeted with a sweet vanilla smell that brought me back to my childhood days of frosted animal cookies.Very sweet. I poured myself a serving of this sugar-coated cereal to see how it tasted dry first. Not unexpectedly, this cereal was very sweet and had a vanilla frosting-like quality. At first, I thought this cereal tasted more like frosted sugar cookies, but as I went through the taste began to become very similar to toasted marshmallows- I wasn't sure why that was, but a couple days afterwards I had something called fairy food, which is pretty much cooked sugar straight up, and that tasted very close to toasted marshmallows as well. I quickly figured that the taste coming from this cereal was supposed to be that of straight-up sugar as well. But don't get me wrong- I very much enjoyed the overly sweet taste. It was a good kind of overly sweet. This cereal was also very crunchy, with a lickable coating. I couldn't taste the dash of cinnamon that was supposedly put on this, but that's okay since the taste of toasted marshmallows is pretty "warm" enough on its own.

           Wave yo' booty in the air like you just don't care! Sayin', "Toast!" "Crunch!" "Toast!" "Crunch!"

Next up, I tried some Frosted Toast Crunch in milk. I wasn't really having high hopes for the results then, considering both Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Peanut Butter Toast Crunch aren't all that great unless eaten plain, but Frosted Toast Crunch actually tasted pretty good in milk. It retained its toasted-marshmallow-sweet taste, but still left enough sweetness for the after-milk to turn out tasty too. Frosted Toast Crunch got mushy pretty fast, but still retained a little crunch in every piece.

You know, I wasn't too excited for Frosted Toast Crunch, since a lot of reviews I read on it liked it, but didn't love it. I, however, would have to say Frosted Toast Crunch can be added to my list of favorite cereals. Each piece was so sugary-sweet and flavorful enough that you could eat them one by one, and they tasted pretty much like cooked sugar. This cereal also held up fairly well in milk- so much to the point that I wouldn't mind eating NOT eating it dry now and again. If I were to give it a rating, Frosted Toast Crunch would rank over Peanut Butter Toast Crunch but just under Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Overall, this is a darn tasty cereal and I would certainly purchase it again. 
I'd give General Mills Frosted Toast Crunch Cereal a 9/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? The Impulsive Buy and So Good Blog also have this one review.

What is YOUR favorite flavor of Toast Crunch? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...