Monday, December 2, 2013

REVIEW: Fiber One Honey Clusters Cereal

As a little kid, I LOVED Honey Bunches of Oats. And one of the reasons I loved it so much was the fact it tasted delicious and was quote, unquote, "healthy."
As I've grown up, however, I've learned that Honey Bunches of Oats is nothing but a mere cereal made by a commercial industry to appear healthy. In reality, cereals like Krave or Rice Krispies are just about as good for you. Geez, if I had known that, I could've spent my childhood enjoying THOSE cereals instead of wasting my time on Honey Bunches!!! Well, okay- I really DID like the taste of Honey Bunches, but you get what I mean. And I'm SURE there are some of you people out there- adults, not kids- who love Honey Bunches as much as the young "me" did, but unlike the young me, realize it's not the super-mega health cereal we are led to believe. So here's a review of a product that can be best described as a Honey Bunches of Oats replacement that's actually pretty healthy: General Mills' Fiber One Honey Clusters Cereal.
 A 14.25 oz. box costs around $3.98.
 A 1 cup (52g) serving contains 170 calories, 10 of them being from fat, 1.5g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0.5g of polyunsaturated, 0g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 220mg of sodium, 200mg of potassium, 44g of total carbohydrates, 10g of dietary fiber, 9g of sugar, and 4g of protein. Also contains many different values of your various vitamins and minerals, including 90% of your needed iron.

 This cereal isn't much to look at, but it's not ugly like Fiber One's Original cereal either. What we've got here is just average, everyday flakes, with some of the titular honey clusters mixed throughout. The flakes are a light golden-brown in color, and the clusters are composed of oats and odd little crisp spheres.  

When eaten dry, this cereal is crunchy, and you can clearly taste the honey. The flavor is one of moderate sweetness with a slight bran flake aftertaste hidden underneath. The honey bunches add an extra punch of sweet deliciousness, and there is a reasonable amount of the clusters given this cereal's nutrition.
In milk, Fiber One's Honey Clusters remains sweet and retains its crunchy composition for a long time, and the bran flake taste is a little less noticeable. The honey taste is still there, however, and you do get the feeling of eating Honey Bunches of Oats. This cereal just isn't as sweet as Honey Bunches. The honey clusters also aren't much in comparison to the clusters found in Honey Bunches, which are more like actual granola chunks. These clusters are NOT like granola at all. The clusters fall apart and are barely noticeable when eaten in milk, as opposed to when they are eaten dry and taste even better than the actual flakes.
If you're looking for a healthy replacement to Honey Bunches of Oats, look no further. This cereal provides the feeling of eating Honey Bunches while offering you more nutrition for a similar taste. This is even a good option if you're on the lookout for a healthier cereal. But if you're just looking for a tasty cereal, I think you can pass this one up. It's sweet and is like Honey Bunches of Oats, but if it's flavor you're after, then I would just eat regular Honey Bunches of Oats, you know? The original, while less healthy for you, is obviously a lot sweeter and has much more scrumptious clusters. Fiber One Honey Clusters is a good, solid cereal, but it isn't one I'd go out of my way to buy again. And if I'm in the mood for some Honey Bunches, I would just buy Honey Bunches. It'd be like my special treat! But like I said, if you're the type who feels the need to eat Honey Bunches EVERYDAY while still squeezing in more nutrition, eat this.
I'd give this Honey Clusters cereal a 6.5/10.

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...