Monday, December 23, 2013

REVIEW: Kelloggs Krave S'mores Cereal

Did you know that Krave was a cereal originally released in the UK? Yup! And while they're getting flavors like Chocolate Hazelnut and White Chocolate Brownie across the pond, we're getting flavors like... S'mores. How sophisticated. But I can't say I wasn't excited about the release of this latest Krave flavor- The Double Chocolate variety was delicious, so why would this new flavor be any different? I watched and waited full of undying anticipation for Krave S'mores to one day appear on the shelves of my local supermarket, and suddenlt, out of the blue, there it was!!! ...Only it was sold out.
...Damn (hangs head).
Lucky for me, it wasn't long before I went out to a different store and found a full stock of S'mores on the shelves. An 11 oz. box costs around $2.88.

A 3/4 cup (31g) serving of Kellogg's Krave S'mores contains 120 calories, 30 of them being from fat, 3.5g of total fat, 1g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 1.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 1g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 105mg of sodium, 75mg of potassium, 24g of total carbohydrates, 3g of dietary fiber, 10g of sugar, and 2g of protein. Also contains various values of your assorted vitamins and minerals.

As soon as I opened up the freshly bought bag of Krave, I was greeted by an amazing, delectable smell of sweet graham crackers. That delicious smell came from the outer cereal shell exclusive to this type of Krave, which is made with actual graham flour. The use of graham made this variety of Krave a brighter and lighter shade of yellow than the original Chocolate flavor, and a bit smoother in appearance as well. The marshmallow and chocolate is all hidden on the inside, as a sweet strip of filling in every piece of cereal.
Trying a serving of Krave dry first, I was exceptionally impressed by the new graham cracker-flavored cereal shell. It tasted sufficiently better than the Chocolate and even Double Chocolate Kraves' "crusts." The graham cereal was very sweet and did indeed taste like graham crackers. It was less grainy than the other two Krave shells and was quite delectable. I wouldn't have even minded eating the graham shell by itself- without the marshmallow and chocolate filling, mind you -but then I guess that'd just be like eating regular graham crackers anyway. The graham-flavored cereal was very crunchy and firm, yet light, and is able to melt in the mouth after a little while. The outer shell of cereal is also acceptably thick.

Although the inside of Krave S'mores is listed as being made with chocolate flavored and marshmallow-y filling, it didn't remind me at all of a fake taste and was actually as much delicious as the graham cracker cereal that guards it. I was able to taste accents of both chocolate and marshmallow in the sweet and creamy filling, which was neither sticky nor dry. I was thinking the marshmallowy element was going to taste stale or something, but it was surprisingly milky and rich in flavor. The only complaint I have about the filling is that there was very, very little of it in every cereal piece (unlike how Kellogg's has it pictured on the box), but I was able to taste the flavor quite easily anyway so I guess that's not a big problem.
Overall, I'd have to say that Krave S'mores is a scrumptious and addictive cereal dry, with a taste reminiscent of real campfire s'mores that I feel completely bests Kellogg's Smorz cereal (And that's probably a much-needed relief to hear, since this Krave cereal is the soon-to-be discontinued Smorz replacement).


In milk, Krave S'mores got mushy but all the pieces held together in the end. And since the outer cereal shell is rather thick, there was always a little bit of crunch left to each piece. The chocolate and marshmallow filling remains inside, leaving the cereal to remain very sweet in taste. Adding milk- I'm pleased to say -also enhances the rich creaminess of the chocolate/marshmallow filling.

To conclude, my eagerness for the latest flavor of Krave to hit supermarket shelves was NOT in vain. It was delicious to the degree of being addictive, and I bet left to my own devices I could've easily eaten more than just a single serving dry. The combination of a scrumptious, s'mores-esque taste and a crunchy and firm, yet light texture made me kraving even more. Haha. This cereal wasn't too bad in milk either. In my eyes, this is the best flavor of Krave so far and one of the best new cereals I've tried in awhile. I wouldn't think twice about picking up a box of Krave S'mores again.
I'd give Kellogg's Krave S'mores Cereal a 9/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? The Impulsive Buy also has this one reviewed.

What is YOUR favorite flavor of Krave cereal? Do you have any good idea for new ones? Post down your thoughts in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...