Sunday, December 22, 2013

REVIEW: Kellogg's Frosted Krispies Cereal

Mmmmmm... Who doesn't love Rice Krispies??? They're crunchy, they make great marshmallow treats, and they transform your morning bowl of cereal into a symphony of sound. You know- snap crackle pop! Which are also the names of the three little elves (elves... right?) pictured on all the boxes of Rice Krispies. To be honest, Crackle was always my favorite. He had the most unique hat and hair, which totally overruled the nearly identical Snap and Pop in every which way. So now's time for me to try Kellogg's Frosted Krispies- which I'm guessing are similar to regular Rice Krispies but frosted. A 12.5 oz. box costs around $2.98.

A 3/4 cup (30g) serving contains 120 calories, 0 of them being from fat, 0g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0g of polyunsaturated fat, 0g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 110mg of sodium, 20mg of potassium, 27g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 12g of sugar, and 1g of protein. Also contains various values of assorted vitamins and minerals.

Hey- hey. What's is this, Rice Krispies? NOT. COOL. KELLOGG'S. This is the WORST marketing ploy I have ever seen. Luring sweet, innocent kids who just wanna complete the maze on the back of their cereal box into having their parents buy more Rice Krispies just a-cuz' it happens to be one of the cute, hypnotizing character's favorite food? Despicable!!! Dastardly!!! Disgusting!!! For shame! I bet that's not even his REAL favorite food. Listen, I LOVE pizza, but I betcha I'd get sick of it after eating it day after day after day. Well, maybe not. But in its defense, anything can be put on pizza. Pizza comes in all shapes and forms. And flavors. Rice Krispies don't. Maybe, like, a few different flavors, but that's it. Ahem. Anyhoo...

Pouring myself a bowl of these little Krispies, I found the coloring to be just a shade of yellow lighter than regular Rice Krispies. I stuck my nose in for a sniff, but there was no smell. Not even a sugary sweet one, like vanilla. I had some pieces of cereal dry, and while they were crunchy and crisp, nothing struck out that made these much different than regular Rice Krispies noticeably in taste. Perhaps they were sweeter, but nothing really flavor-wise. I was quickly getting very bored of eating the Frosted Krispies plain, so I poured some milk over the top of my bowl of cereal in hopes things would get better.
Alas, the Frosted Krispies' blah taste couldn't even be redeemed by a cool bath of milk. Although the cereal's composition remained fairly crunchy (always a good thing), the taste remained just as much boring as  before as well. It was like I was eating a bowl of just plain ol' Rice Krispies. And that was not what I wanted. You would think that Frosted might mean Kellogg's would give this cereal something like a sweet vanilla icing flavor or something, but I think frosting to them means nothing more than adding some more sugar to the regular Rice Krispie recipe. And even then, this cereal wasn't a party of sugary deliciousness either. Frosted Krispies tasted just like Rice Krispies to me- which isn't a bad thing, since Rice Krispies ARE good -but if I WANTED to eat Rice Krispies, I'd just buy those, not these.
You'd think that the "Frosted" part in these Frosted Krispies would bring something new to the table, but it sadly does not. No sweet flavoring, no icing-like texture, no pizazz. Maybe, if you were to compare this cereal side-by-side with regular Rice Krispies, you'd say, "Yeah, this one tastes sugarier," but Frosted Krispies don't contain such an upgrade in sweetness that they could redeem themselves from their dreariness. This is honestly on of the first times in a long time that a bowl of cereal has made me so bored that I wished I could just throw the rest away in the sink. While Frosted Krispies aren't inedible (they taste like Rice Krispies, which is fine if I WANTED regular Rice Krispies), they sure as heck were drab as can be and I will NOT be picking up another box.
I'd give Kellogg's Frosted Krispies Cereal a 3.5/10.

What Rice Krispies Cereal do YOU find the least impressive? How about most? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. I will still try it and hope its not as sweet as Rice Krispies Treats Cereal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...