Friday, December 20, 2013

REVIEW: Sushi With Gusto's Seaweed Salad

If you've been keeping up with my blog posts for the last month or so, you might've read my review on Sushi With Gusto's grocery store Dragon California Roll. Along with that sushi, I had a side of  seaweed salad, but I didn't include THAT in the review, because- hey! I could easily milk a single meal into TWO reviews. Makes sense, right?  So here we go- time to elaborate on Sushi With Gusto's Seaweed Salad. One 4.5 oz. side costs around $3.99.


A 4 oz. serving of salad contains 140 calories, 8g of total fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 1680mg of sodium, 20g of total carbohydrates, 2g of dietary fiber, and 2g of protein.

So, this product looks as much like seaweed salad as it possibly can. The main ingredient is shiny and thin strands of seaweed (doy), which is mixed together with seasame seeds and some red pepper flakes.The fresh appearance of this grocery store seaweed salad made me hopeful for the taste, of which I was still wary, as I decided to taste-test this before the actual sushi.

At first bite, I was very impressed by this salad's taste. Not only was it nice and chilly, like seaweed salad straight from a sushi bar's kitchen, but the salad also had a great texture that combined both the chewy and crunchy aspects of seaweed: the agar-agar used in seaweed salad gave it the chewy, moist, somewhat slimy feel, while the seaweed remained slightly crunchy, like raw vegetables. The taste was fresh and sweet, with solid sesame oil and seaweed-like tones. This salad was very yummy and actually made me anticipate the sushi roll that was waiting for me next.
Even though this seaweed salad came from the supermarket, it tasted no different than the seaweed salads you can purchase at the average sushi bar, which is a GREAT accomplishment. I was very much impressed. The only complaint I have is that $3.99 for the serving size seems pretty pricey, if you ask me. Maybe seaweed salads cost a bit more at actual sushi bars, but you get A LOT more salad for the price given if I can recall. But anyway, this was really good, and since there really aren't that many passable seaweed salads sold at grocery stores, I would definitely pick up a container of this if I was going to have supermarket sushi for dinner again. And considering I was impressed with Sushi With Gusto's products all around, I probably will.
I'd give Sushi With Gusto's Seaweed Salad a 9/10.

What did YOU think of Sushi With Gusto's Seaweed Salad? Let me know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...