Sunday, December 8, 2013

REVIEW: Fiber One 90 Calorie Lemon Bar

Fiber One has had their line of 90-calorie, mini chocolate brownies on shelves for a long time now, but recently they've been reaching out and crafting "brownies" out of different flavors- these two flavors being Lemon Bar and Cinnamon Coffee Cake. While I think the Cinnamon Coffee Cake sounds like the much more preferable of the two, my mom went and bought the Lemon Bar flavor when I asked if she could pick up some new "review materials" next time she stopped at the grocery store. Ahhh well! It's not coffee cake, but it IS a new product to try, and that is exactly what I asked for. One 5.34 oz. box containing six measly 0.89 oz. bars costs around $2.98.
One 25g bar contains 90 calories, 30 of them being from fat, 3g of total fat, 1.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 80mg of sodium, 18g of carbohydrates, 5g of dietary fiber, 8g of sugar, and less than 1g of protein.

I was a little disappointed with this bar's meager size when first taking it out of its wrapper, but it IS only 90-calories, so I guess the size is only fair. And anyway, TWO bars would only be 180 calories- still a reasonable amount for a regular snack. So the portion size of this bar really isn't a major dilemma.

This bar has a strong, lemony smell and a pale yellow, lemony exterior. There is a thin lemon drizzle on top, and yellow lemon bits intertwined within the bar's lemony DNA. Yeah, something told me this bar was gonna be lemony even before I started to eat it.

This bar has a very lemony, citrus-y taste to it, just like a "real" lemon bar. The flavor was a mix between sweet and tangy, although this wasn't as sweet as I thought a lemon brownie/bar would be. Maybe that's because it IS lemon- something with a tart flavor like lemon as the base just CAN'T be very sweet. Or maybe it can. I dunno! This bar wasn't able to prove that for me. The texture of this bar was soft and chewy, and was able to melt in my mouth, but it was surprisingly dry. I would've enjoyed this bar more if it was more moist on the inside.
The lemon bits in this bar tasted and felt like little sugar candies. They were crunchy, yet melted away on my tongue. There were a lot of candy bits within this bar and added tiny bursts of extra citrus-y flavor.

Overall, this was not a mind-blowing bar, and I didn't think very much of it. However, I am not a big fan of lemon-y sweets- I don't even find other fruity dessert flavors, like strawberry or apple, as good as chocolate or vanilla kinds. I suppose your views on this bar will depend on how much you like lemon-y things, because this is certainly lemon-y. I don't prefer lemon bars because I don't enjoy pastries and sweets that are sour. So naturally, I didn't enjoy this bar and won't be buying another box, I'm sure. But if you're looking for a way to indulge in lemon-y sweets without breaking your caloric bank, these'd do the trick.
I'd give these Fiber One Lemon Bar's a 4.75/10. But remember I don't like lemon-y desserts, and I'm only speaking for my own flavor preferences.

Need other views from those who chewed and reviewed? Crazy Food Dude has a review up here.

Do YOU like Fiber One's Lemon Bars? Should I have given them a higher rating? Tell me your thoughts below down in the comments section!

 Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...