Tuesday, June 25, 2013

REVIEW: General Mill's Peanut Butter Toast Crunch

I love a good bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It's one of my all-time favorite cereals- the cinnamon-sugary coating, the appealing crunch, the sheer yumminess of it all... But there are times when even my absolute favorite cereals can become a little... stale. So, feeling like mixing things up but not wanting to stray too far from the norm, I picked up a box of Peanut Butter Toast Crunch from General Mills. Sadly, I didn't remember to check how much one box costs, but I'd imagine it'll run you between 3 to 4 dollars, depending on your location.

Peanut Butter Toast Crunch isn't a mecca of health, but that's to be expected. I suppose what's the most surprising about the nutrition stats of this cereal, however, is that it's a moderately good source of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats- aka, the healthy fats. This is probably due to the fact PB Toast Crunch is made with real peanut butter, which is a natural source of these kinds of fats.
3/4 cup (30g) of this cereal contains 120 calories, 3g of fat, 0.5g of saturated fats, 0g of trans fat, 1g of polyunsaturated fats, 1.5g of monounsaturated fats, 0mg of cholesterol, 170mg of sodium, 75mg of potassium, 23g of carbohydrates, 2g of dietary fiber, 8g of sugar, 2g of protein, and 1%-25% of various vitamins and minerals.
PB Toast Crunch looks pretty much identical to its cinnamon-y brother. Little ridged squares and rectangles, all dusted in a sugary coating. But unlike Cinnamon Toast Crunch, this cereal is a more darker, saturated, orange color. There are also no cinnamon swirls patterns to be found here.
Looks yum! I'm getting a good nutty- more specifically, pea-nutty- aroma, like opening up a jar of real peanut butter. Little specks of sugar dot the attractive little morsels. I poured myself a bowl of this cereal dry to start out the taste-test.
Mmm... These pieces are sweet, but with a slightly salty pinch that you'd except to taste in real peanut butter. At the same time, this cereal is a degree sweeter than real PB, and doesn't contain as strong a peanutty flavor. But for the most part, these tiny squares taste like actual peanut butter. But with a base of rice and corn cereal, this cereal's taste reminds me incredibly of the taste of Ritz Peanut Butter Crackers- not just peanut butter plain. Although this is a rather crunchy cereal, its texture had this slightly creamy texture to it. This may be due to the fact that Peanut Butter Toast Crunch contains real peanut butter- You can actually find little smidgens of it sticking to some pieces of cereal here and there, which you can lick right off. Yummy! The addition of real peanut butter is a great touch. I like it, I like it a lot!
Now, time to give this cereal the good ol' milk test. Sadly, these little guys shed their sugary coating all too quickly, which made the milk taste great, but left the cereal tasting subpar and bland, at best. My bowl of PB Toast Crunch also became soggy in the milk after just a few minutes. Milk test results: FAIL!
In the end, I really fell in love with Peanut Butter Toast Crunch. It's sweet, it's salty, it's addictive- It tastes like PB! What's not to love? Not a lot! Unless you don't like PB, which in that case, would be a lot. But I love peanut butter, and I love this cereal just as much. It's one of my new favorites! Just not in milk. It loses its luster in milk. For. Sure. But that's okay- I prefer to eat my cereal dry, piece by piece, so I can savor every little bite! So, if you love peanut butter, or only even like it, go out and try Peanut Butter Toast Crunch sometimes. It's deeeeelicious! (But I don't know if it quite beats out Cinnamon Toast Crunch! Some things never change!)

Nutrition: 5.5/10
Taste: 9/10
Price: 7/10
RiRi Rates General Mill's Peanut Butter Toast Crunch as: 8.5/10

Till' next time, this has been RiRi Ri-porting!

2 comments:

  1. man, smh... this cereal is da bomb diggity!! after trying this stuff myself i have to say ur 9/10 taste score is amazing to me. and 7/10 for price? u know as well as i do it's worth it. on a positive note, your tagline at the end is classic! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Good thing I don't give the price its own rating anymore, huh? I figure people can decide for themselves if its TOO pricey or not. The taste is what truly matters!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...