Thursday, June 13, 2013

REVIEW: McDonald's Premium McWrap Chicken & Ranch (Grilled)

It was another McDonald's day today, and I felt like going for another one of their new McWraps. The first one I reviewed was the Grilled Sweet Chili Chicken, which I admired for its tangy sauce and all-around good flavor. I felt like trying out McDonald's Grilled Chicken & Ranch McWrap this time. The Grilled Chicken & Ranch contains more calories than the Sweet Chili Chicken, but less than the Chicken & Bacon, which I guess would make it the middle child of the McWrap family. All McWraps cost $3.99 over in my part of town. I also decided to try McDonald's Side Salad (What? They actually have those?). Since it's on the Dollar Menu I thought, whyyyyy not!

Noticeably, there are a few differences between McDonald's Sweet Chili Chicken McWrap and their Chicken & Ranch McWrap. First, the sauces used: The former wrap has a sweet, Thai-esque sauce accompanied by a creamy garlic sauce, while the latter is made with a buttermilk ranch dressing and seasoned rice vinegar. The ranch, while creamy, could've tasted waaaay sweeter. I believe the rice vinegar made the overall sauce flavor too bitter- I could've done without it. The rice vinegar also creates a liquidy mess when mixed with the ranch dressing and overpowers the properties of the ranch as well. I don't think this McWrap really needs the rice vinegar- I was expecting a more sweeter, dominant taste of buttermilk ranch, but I think the rice vinegar really hindered that. When I think ranch, I think milky sweetness- Not vinegary bitterness!
The Chicken & Ranch McWrap also has shredded cheddar cheese, while the Sweet Chili Chicken does not. I nearly forgot their was supposed to be cheese on my Ranch McWrap as I ate through it. I even had to open up the tortilla and check to see if their really was any on there. What I'm saying is, the cheese flavor was practically unnoticeable. And taking a look, there barely was any cheese on my McWrap to begin with. Just, like, a few shreds here and there... I was expecting a bit more than what I saw. Scratch that, a lot more. The small amount of cheese didn't do anything for the taste.
While I found the cucumbers on the Sweet Chili Chicken to be too bland for the flavor of that McWrap, I thought they fit in much more well with the Chicken & Ranch. The cucumbers added a slight refreshing taste, and made a great pair with the ranch dressing. It was like eating Tzatziki! But while I enjoyed them, there were only two or three cucumber slices on my wrap altogether, so I would've appreciated more of them.
The salad greens on the Chicken & Ranch McWrap were a little limp and didn't contribute much in terms of flavor, but they still managed to add a good crunch! This McWrap also came with two tomato slices, which were rather firm and fresh, but were too bitter for my liking. The grilled chicken strips were cut into large slices and were very chewy! I found there to be a suitable amount of chicken in my McWrap as well. The tortilla was soft like a pillow, and I enjoyed the taste of it very much! My McWrap, however, could have been warmer.
Would I buy McDonald's Premium Chicken & Ranch McWrap again? Yep, I think so! However, I didn't enjoy it as much as the Sweet Chili Chicken McWrap, and next time, I'm going to kindly ask if they can leave the rice vinegar off of my McWrap. Maybe that'll fix the ranch dressing dilemma...

Nutrition: 7/10
Taste: 7.5/10
Price: 5/10
Quality: 6.5/10
Overall Deliciousness Rating: 7/10

McDonald's Premium McWrap Chicken & Ranch (Grilled)

  • Pros: Creamy buttermilk ranch dressing, big strips of chewy chicken, cucumbers pair well with the ranch, lettuce adds a nice crunch, tasty tortilla.
  • Cons: Could've been warmer, rice vinegar made ranch dressing taste too bitter, not very much cheese, cheese lacks flavor, lettuce is a bit limp, rice vinegar is runny and overpowers the ranch.

Oh, I also enjoyed my Side Salad moderately as well! It was crisp and contained a good mix of different salad greens. It had enough flavor that it didn't need a dressing. The only part I didn't like were the cherry tomatoes- They were plump and of big size, but were bitter, just like the tomato slices on my McWrap. Geez, what is with McDonald's tomatoes? I can't stand them! Anyway, McDonald's Side Salad is a decent  and filling size, but only sets you back 20 calories, so it'll definitely be a buy for me again.

Have you tried any of McDonald's McWraps yet? Which is your favorite? Grilled or Crispy chicken? Write down your thoughts in the comments section below!!!

Till' next time, this has been RiRi Ri-porting!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...