Monday, June 17, 2013

Slim Chocolate Pudding Recipe

Here's a Chocolate Pudding recipe I modified from Better Homes and Garden's Family Favorites Made Lighter. While their recipe is already light as is, I used Splenda instead of sugar to make it completely sugar-free for my friend, Michelle, who's been craving some low-sugar recipes lately. Not only is this pudding recipe good served plain, it can also be used as a tasty filling, like for cream puffs maybeeee...?
This recipe is easy to follow, and doesn't require very many ingredients or time. Keep reading for what you'll need to do for some super-delicious, guilt-free choco-pudding!



Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 1/4 skim milk (I used 2%)
  • 2 teaspoons margarine (I used light butter)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (I used sugar-free vanilla pudding mix)
  • 1 medium banana (optional)

Instructions:
In a heavy medium saucepan stir together the Splenda, flour, and cocoa powder. Stir in skim milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat. Stir in the margarine or light butter and vanilla. 

If desires, slice the banana into 4 individual dessert dishes. Spoon the pudding atop. Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator till serving time. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts for One Serving of Chocolate Pudding (using the ingredients called for): 158 calories, 6g of protein, 29g of carbohydrates, <.5 of dietary fiber, 3g of total fat, <.5g of saturated fat, 2mg of cholesterol, 96mg of sodium, 442mg of potassium, 13% of Vitamin A, 2% of Vitamin C, 8% of Thiamine, 18% of Riboflavin, 4% of Niacin, 22% of Calcium, and 11% of Iron.

Time to try this recipe out myself! Got my sexy apron on and everything!


Here I go, stirring up the Splenda, flour, and cocoa... I love the smell of cocoa! I hope this recipe goes well, by the way... I don't know if Splenda thickens milk as well as regular sugar does... Gulp! I guess that's what cooks do though- They experiment until they come up with something extraordinary! Or until they rage quit.   Six of one, half a dozen...

Time to stir in the milk... The recipe called for skim, but all I had available was 2%. Mama is a big believer in drinking milk with no less than 2% reduced fat. Apparently, 1% and skim leave out a whole bunch of antioxidants and stuff... Baloney, I say! But whatever. I'm aiming for a low-sugar recipe here, not a low-fat one.

The mixture is becoming smoother...

Hmm... It's been a few minutes, but no big change. I feel like Dory from Finding Nemo: Just keep stirring, just keep stirring...

After several minutes of non-stop stirring, I decided to just let the mixture bubble on its own for awhile and see what'd happen. Slowly, but surely, it started becoming thicker. It sped up the process, but not quickly enough for a huge chance.

But then, it started bubbling. A LOT. But the pudding wasn't becoming as thick as I thought it should. This could be a problem, I thought... Look, the sides are becoming burnt as well.

Ah, finally, some discernible thickening! I could get the pudding to hold its shape off the sides of the pan. But some of the pudding was becoming a dark brown... Is that normal? Should that be happening? Am I burning the pudding? AHHHHHHH!!!! I wanted to take it off the heat, but it was still soupy! What is happening!?!?!

Well, eventually, the pudding did become adequately thick enough for it to be considered actual "pudding," so I stirred it around for a minute more and took it off the heat. There seemed to be a lot less pudding in the pan than when I had started out... It really shrunk in size. I don't think that was supposed it happen. Looked lumpy too. Sigh... I figured, as long as it tastes good. Please don't gag it up if it tastes bad, Michelle! I put my heart into making this!



Next, I added in Land O'Lakes Light Butter in place of the margarine called for in this recipe, and stirred in Jell-O Sugar-Free Vanilla Pudding instead of vanilla extract, which we were all out of. Never, eva, forget the vanilla! After that, the pudding was complete!

Well... not a lot of pudding came out of this recipe. It only filled up three teeny-tiny cream puff pastry shells, and certainly wouldn't have been enough for four whole individual servings. Maybe it was the Splenda that done it in... Maybe I cooked it for too long. Whatever the case, the pudding turned out awfully lumpy and firm because of it. But in the end, Michelle told me she found the chocolate pudding cream puffs to be "very, very yummy and very creamy.! Like I said, as long as it tastes good!!! But if you're planning to make this recipe yourself, I would suggest using the actual ingredients called for in the cookbook. If any of you happen to make this recipe on your own, tell me if you did anything different and how your results turned out!

Till' next time, this has been RiRi Ri-porting!

You can find even more healthy recipes in Better Homes & Garden's Family Favorites Made Lighter! You can purchase the book pretty much anywhere online- You know... Amazon, Ebay...sites like that. There are actually a lot of decent recipes in there... I would recommend giving the book a try.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...