Wednesday, January 8, 2014

REVIEW: Wildwood PastaSlim Spaghetti Shirataki

Once, long ago, I tried out Wildwood's Spinach Fettucini Shirataki Noodles, and from what I could remember, I was quite impressed by them. Now I set out to try their more traditional Spaghetti variety of shirataki noodles. A 7 oz. bad costs around $2.33.

A 3.5 oz. serving of "noodles" contains 20 calories, 0 of them being from fat, 0.5g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 5mg of sodium, 4g of total carbohydrates, 3g of dietary fiber, 0g of sugar, and 1g of protein.

Opening up the bag of liquid-soaked, pungent noodles, I was very surprised by the look of the shirataki inside. They fit the appearance of real spaghetti to a T. These noodles are pale yellow in color and thin, but not angel hair thin. They're already soft and squishy- as if they've been boiled ahead of time- but really that's just the texture of this tofu-based noodle substitute.

Just like the last time I reviewed shirataki noodles, I served this kind with sausages and pasta sauce. Like all shirataki noodles I've come across, you need something served on top of them to really give you a reason to eat them. Except... you know- bein' hungry and all. What I'm saying is that, when eaten plain, this noodles are quite bland.  They don't have a flavor of their own and have a rather odd, squishy, chewy texture. Thankfully, the thinness of these noodles makes it easier to digest the odd texture. May sound a little odd, but they can slide down your throat without you really having to chew them up to much and experience the weird texture that fully.
After covering the shirataki in some pasta sauce, everything boring and bland about them was heartily forgotten. Like all shirataki, this variety soaks up all the flavor of whatever is placed on top of it, and fortunately the sauce I was using tasted very good. But what really sets this shirataki apart from the rest is that its shape is the perfect thickness and consistency- you can slurp them down without having to worry about chewing up the nearly unbreakable noodles or experiencing the weird texture. For one of the first times in my trials of eating shirataki, this variety actually could've fooled ME into thinking I was eating real noodles. And that's saying something!

 I don't wanna say that this is the best shirataki I've tasted so far- since that's what I JUST SAID last time I did a shirataki review, but I should say it because it's true. I'd even go as far as to say that this shirataki was a nearly mind-blowing product. Wildwood's Spaghetti shirataki was the first shirataki that actually reminded me of eating real, actual noodles. They are certainly a great option for people who are gluten-intolerant, diabetic, or trying to eat on a low-calorie diet. This noodle substitute will most likely be my go-to for shirataki now.
I'd give Wildwood's PastaSlim Spaghetti Shirataki a 9/10.

What shirataki do YOU consider the best? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...