Thursday, January 16, 2014

REVIEW: Kellogg's Special K Cookies & Creme Pastry Crisps

My friend was egging me on about how good these Special K Pastry Chips were one time at lunch a few days ago. I wanted to try them, but I knew how small they were, so I thought they wouldn't be worth the cash. But then again, I've been buying up those 90 Calorie Fiber One Brownies all the time lately, and those are exactly the same size as these Pastry Crisps, so I eventually conceded and bought up a box of the flavor that caught my eye the most: Cookies & Creme. I LOVE cookies and cream, in case you didn't know, so I figured this review was gonna be fun. Anyway, a 4.4 oz. box with five 0.88 oz. bars costs around $2.78.

A 2 crisp serving (25g) contains 100 calories, 20 of them being from fat, 2g of total fat, 1g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 105mg of sodium, 20g of total carbohydrates, less than 1g of dietary fiber, 7g of sugar, and less than 1g of protein.

So yes- not unexpectedly, this bars are awfully tiny. But for the low calorie tag, the small size isn't unreasonable at all. These bars are made with a cocoa-flavored cookie shell with the sweet cream hidden on the inside. The tops of the bars are drizzled with chocolate in a rather unique and fancy-like pattern. There are small holes placed periodically throughout the top layer of the crisps, not unlike the holey pattern found on Ritz crackers.

So, let me start off by extinguishing any hopes and dreams you Oreo lovers have about these crisps: they do NOT taste like Oreos. They're not the complete opposite of Oreos, they just aren't that much alike. These bars do, however, taste a lot like cookies and cream, even though there isn't a whole lotta actual cream to them (see reference picture below). The cream's taste is spoken for, thankfully, and you get a good feel for the texture even if there isn't a lot to work with. The cream is gooey and thick- a bit like jelly (which is another reason these crisps are a far cry from Oreos). The taste of the cream is very sweet and milky.

These bars are light and airy, but still provide a decent amount of crispness, which make a cool combo when paired with the smooth cream. The cookie shell is cocoa-flavored, and it wouldn't be a far stretch to say they are wafer-thin. They still provide a delicious sweet-kind-of-chocolately flavor, and I enjoyed the dessert-like taste very much. I think the chocolate drizzle added extra chocolatey flavor, but I wasn't too sure since the crisps were already so very chocolately as it was.

So overall, these pastry crisps were light yet delicious, and a very satisfying treat when you need a low-consequence cookies and cream fix. I haven't had Cookies & Creme PopTarts in forever- so I couldn't vouch for this myself  -but my friend says these Special K Pastry Crisps taste somewhat like those. Anyway, these were a sweet little treat and I wouldn't mind buying another box again at all.
I'd give Kellogg's Special K Cookies & Creme Pastry Crisps an 8/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? Crazy Food Dude and The Impulsive Buy also has this one reviewed.

What is YOUR favorite flavor of Special K Pastry Crisps? Which flavor should be reviewed next? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...