Friday, January 17, 2014

REVIEW: Kellogg's Special K Honey Barbecue Cracker Chips

For a long while I wasn't very much into chips- it was all about the sweets. I didn't have time for chips- I was too busy reviewing cereal and granola bars and... more cereal. But I've been on a chip kick lately and have been taste-testing a few different varieties of this salty snack. First up for reviewin' is Special K's Honey Barbecue Cracker Chips. They're new, but just became old by food industry standards. I'm serious. One day I'm in the store buying a box of this stuff with "NEW!" plastered all over it and the next I go back into that same snack aisle and all the Honey Barbecue boxes have that NEW taken off. I guess the food world moves much too fast for an average Joe like I...
So then, a 4 oz. box costs around $2.88.

A serving of 27 chips (30g) contains 110 calories, 20 of them being from fat, 2.5g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 200mg of sodium, 170mg of potassium, 23g of total carbohydrates, 3g of dietary fiber, 2g of sugar, and 2g of protein.

These "chips", unlike your standard potato chips, are all perfectly circular in shape- except for the ones that might have already broken apart in the box. Special K chips are in a way, thicker than potato chips, but at the same time are noticeably airier. This flavor of Special K chips are a light yellow-orange color, dusted with the honey barbecue seasoning.

I've always been a bit afraid to try Special K chips. I had the original Sea Salt flavor or whatever it was a long time before and didn't like them very much. I think I wasn't used to the texture. These chips obviously won't be as greasy as the potato chips one might be so accustomed to- in fact, these aren't greasy at all. In a way, I guess you could call these chips dry, even though all chips could technically be seen as dry. Special K chips are also airy and light- significantly lighter than most chips -and melt away easier too. The texture is like a cross between puff-corn and chips.
But if the texture sounds unappealing, it really isn't all that bad. Their is still a good amount of crunch to these things, so it might take a little getting used to, but it's really not that bad. It's just that the texture alone couldn't survive as a successful product on its own. It needs a good flavor to back it up.
And boy howdy! This honey barbecue seasoning was go-ooo-od! I may have talked a lot about the texture beforehand, and how it was so different from standard potato chips, but that's not something I actually noticed RIGHT AWAY. The fabulous seasoning on here provided such a similar flavor to REAL barbecue potato chips that I didn't even notice the texture was different right off the bat. To be frank, I haven't eaten barbecue potato chips in a long, long time, but even I can recognize the taste of them. This WAS the taste of barbecue potato chips. And if it were not, these STILL were some pretty darn tasty chips. The seasoning was exactly what barbecue potato chips should taste like- somewhat sweet, tangy, a little smoky, and most of all- flavorful.

I'm glad I decided to start trying Special K Chips again, and I'm even more glad that I picked this flavor to try first. The texture is a bit different from potato chips, but not in an unappetizing way, and the honey barbecue seasoning is spot on. These chips are also light and airy, but also a decent size apiece, making the serving of 27 chips actually quite seemingly large. And for 110 calories, you can most certainly indulge. If you're looking for a healthier alternative to barbecue potato chips, look no further- Special K has got you covered with these. I'd definitely buy these again.
I'd give Special K's Honey Barbecue Cracker Chips a 9/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? Crazy Food Dude also has this one reviewed.

What is YOUR favorite flavor from the Special K Cracker Chip Line??? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...