Friday, January 24, 2014

REVIEW; Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned Mint Cookie Crunch Ice Cream


Well, it's the middle of winter everyone, and you know what that means... ICE CREAM! Yes, ice cream! Freezing cold ice cream for allllllll! I like to eat mine outside in the middle of the night, while the snow is coming down in plumes and I'm in nothing but my pajamas. Just pure fun. Super. But it's even BETTER when you have an icy slushie to accompany you instead. Oh well. I guess this Slow Churned Mint Cookie Crunch ice cream from Edy's/Dreyer's will have to do.
A 1.5 qt.  container of ice cream costs around $3.89.

A 1/2 cup serving of ice cream (62g) contains 120 calories, 2.5g of total fat, 1.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 5mg of cholesterol, 60mg of sodium, 20g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 13g of sugar, and 3g of protein.

Looking over my shoulder as I began to type out this review during Personal Finance (Hey, if I'm to get ANYTHING out of that class, it might as well be a few blog posts), my friend exclaimed, "Ewww! Is that BARF?" So I said, "Sorry to disappoint you, but it's ice cream." I suppose when the picture is enlarged a couple times or so, mint green ice cream with black cookie chunks WOULD look like barf. Yeah, I can see it now! Speaking of, this picture is making me a bit sick... I think I'm gonna.... BLJAKLRJKSFJLKASFJDJKFDAVRVRVRRRRR.

Not being the biggest fan of mint ice cream, I knew my tastes might come off as a bit biased, but I tried the best I could to review this flavor with an open mind. Some light ice creams are plagued with a texture that can best be described as "gummy," but thankfully this kind was smooth and creamy- reasonably enough so for a Slow Churned flavor, anyway. The texture of this ice cream was also airy, but again- Slow Churned. The taste was minty and sweet, but yet, it was missing something. I KNOW I said that I don't care for mint ice cream, but I actually think this stuff wasn't minty ENOUGH. It was kinda mild. Something even someone like me could handle, but not in a good way. There's being able to take something on because you are able, and then there's being able to take something one because it is wimpy. This ice cream, was wimpy. The chocolate cookie pieces' flavor was still overshadowed by the mint, as mild as it may be, and just wasn't as chocolatey as REAL chocolate. That also might have to do with the lack of big chunks of cookie pieces- of which there were far and few between.

Despite my tepid review, this flavor wasn't really all that BAD, it just wasn't all that it could've been. It's an OK flavor, but I think only mint aficionados will be THAT into it. And even THEN, the substitution of chocolate chips for chocolate cookie pieces- as unique as it may be -gave this ice cream a much less chocolatey add-in to work with, so the chocolate flavor lacks in comparison to actual mint chocolate chip ice creams. Really, this wasn't a bad ice cream- not even enough to receive a five out of ten, in my fair opinion -but it's an ice cream flavor that will work for some people, while not for others. If you're curious, I suggest picking up a carton of this for yourself to see what you think (I know, I know... this reviewer does her job, don't she?), especially if you're into mint flavors. I probably won't get this ice cream again, but I said it before, and I'll say it again- NO LIKE MINT.
I'd give Edy's/Dreyer's Slow Churned Mint Cookie Crunch Ice Cream a 6.5/10.

What Edy's flavor should be reviewed NEXT? YOU DECIDE! Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...