Saturday, January 11, 2014

REVIEW: General Mills Chocolate Toast Crunch Cereal

I don't know what is IS about chocolate-flavored cereals, but they seem to be are just cause for celebration! A long-time example: Cocoa Krispies. I've ALWAYS preferred those over regular Rice Krispies- since as long as I can remember. A more recent example? Released just last year was Chocolate Frosted Flakes. ...Otherwise known as Choco Zucaritas, whatever the heck that means. Whatever- they were chocolate covered Frosted Flakes, and I was freaking out about them!
And then along came Chocolate Toast Crunch... Now, if I was jumping up and down eagerly telling all my friends about Chocolate Frosted Flakes like a geekwad, just imagine how I felt when I heard about Chocolate Toast Crunch, a chocolate version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, aka THE BEST cereal in the world?!?!
Well, actually, I was a bit skeptical. I was excited, sure, but I'm sure you can see how there might be room for doubt. Let me explain: There has been Frosted Toast Crunch: Toast Crunch with a vanilla icing flavor; there has been Peanut Butter Toast Crunch: Toast Crunch with a peanut butter flavor. I can see both vanilla icing and PB working well with cinnamon. Plus, those two flavors are pretty unique. But chocolate flavor is such a far cry from cinnamon flavor, and is so overly used in today's cereal market. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is a FANTASTIC cinnamon cereal, but could it be a fantastic chocolate cereal as well, or would it only be as good as standard chocolate cereals like Cocoa Puffs? Chocolate is an easy flavor to make a GOOD cereal out of, but what about a great cereal? This is what I set about to find out today with this review. A 12.7 oz. box costs around $2.98.


One 3/4 cup of cereal (31g) contains 130 calories, 35 of them being from fat, 4g of total fat, 0.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 1g of polyunsaturated fat, 2.5g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 130mg of sodium, 85mg of potassium, 24g of total carbohydrates, 2g of dietary fiber, 9g of sugar, and 2g of protein. Also contains various values of assorted vitamins and minerals.

Along with the sweet smell of cocoa, I was greeted by chocolate brown Cinnamon Toast squares after I opened up the bag of cereal. These pieces of cereal are covered in a creamy chocolate coating and studded with some sprinklings of sugar.


I poured myself a bowl of Chocolate Toast Crunch cereal about as normally as big as I would a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but after eating just one piece I was like, "Nevermind... Don't need THAT much!" See, this cereal was unexpectedly rich, probably due to the surprising amount of creaminess in the chocolate coating. The chocolate coating is lickable on some pieces, making for a very, very sweet, chocolatey treat. Dare I say it, this stuff is chocolatier than Krave, and that's made with real chocolate for cryin' out loud!!! (Well, kind of). Anyway, Chocolate Toast Crunch, when eaten dry, was addicting and delicious, but very sweet and very chocolately- perhaps just TOO sweet and TOO chocolatey for some.

In milk, Chocolate Toast Crunch isn't too different from Cinnamon Toast Crunch as it gets soggy in milk very quickly. But unlike Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Chocolate Toast Crunch doesn't lose all of its flavor to the milk. Of course, some flavor gets lost, as the milk becomes chocolatey, and that can't happen without some of the chocolate coating being stripped of the cereal pieces, but you know what I mean. The cereal pieces never tasted too bland or un-chocolatey for my taste, even if they did become all mushy.

So, to bring this review to an end, I'd have to finish off by saying that Chocolate Toast Crunch did not disappoint. It was rich and sweet, but sometimes I felt it was overly so on both accounts. It is, however, not too shabby in milk, and makes for delicious and creamy milk afterwards as well. Overall, it was a great chocolatey cereal. One of the best I've ever tasted. However, when stacked up against the three other flavors of Toast Crunch (Cinnamon, Frosted, and Peanut Butter), Chocolate Toast Crunch would have to be my LEAST favorite. But that isn't so bad... George Harrison is my least favorite Beatle, but I still like him. It's just, when compared to the rest... You sometimes have to man up and pick a least favorite, you know? So, it may be my least favorite from the Toast Crunch family, but Chocolate Toast Crunch is pretty darn tasty and one of my favorite chocolate cereals. I would buy it again when I'm in the mood for chocolate cereal. ...P.S, I couldn't taste the supposed cinnamon in here!
I'd give General Mills Chocolate Toast Crunch Cereal a 7.75/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? The Impulsive Buy also has this one reviewed.

Which cereal from the Toast Crunch family is YOUR favorite? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...