Sunday, January 12, 2014

REVIEW: Kashi GoLean Crisp! Toasted Berry Crumble Cereal

Sometimes, I'm nervous to try new Kashi cereals. Why? Well, let's be honest- plenty of Kashi products are healthy, but not all of them are very tasty. Kashi GoLean Original and Heart to Heart Warm Cinnamon are two decently healthy cereals, but just aren't all that mindblowing when it comes to taste. They're good, just not good enough to buy again. I mean, I only keep purchasing the GoLean just because it has so much protein to it. If it didn't, then nope- out from my pantry with youuuu!!!
And Kashi's GoLean Crunch!, a cereal much akin to their Toasted Berry Crumble, had a great crunchy texture, but was- like the two other aforementioned Kashi cereals -pretty mild in flavor. Another Kashi cereal I tried? Their GoLean Crisp! Cinnamon Crumble, which I don't have a review on but DID eat. THAT cereal was mild as well, and even shares the same title with Toasted Berry Crumble (You know, the GoLean Crisp! part anyway).
So I think it only made sense for me to be a bit on the wary side when purchasing Kashi's Toasted Berry Crumble. I only did so just because I HAD heard such good things about the cereal already. But I still had my doubts. Hopefully a taste-test would change that. A 14 oz. box costs around $3.99.


A 3/4 cup of cereal (51g) contains 180 calories, 35 of them being from fat, 3.5g of total fat, 0g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 1g of polyunsaturated fat, 2g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 125mg of sodium, 250mg of potassium, 35g of total carbohydrates, 8g of dietary fiber, 10 of sugar, and 9g of protein.

Everything during my first impression with this cereal surprised me: the strong and sweet berry aroma, the bright coloring of the cereal, and especially the size of the various clusters. I mean, these clusters were bigger than I had ever seen in a Kashi GoLean Crisp or Crunch or whatever.
Anyway, this cereal had me intrigued, so I instantly grabbed a small handful to try dry. And, oh my golly, was it amazing. Just a little smakerel was enough to tell that this cereal was going to be significantly sweeter than the Kashi cereals I had tried before it. Not only was this cereal sweet, but it was also sweet like berries, like it was supposed to. It's hard to explain, but it kinda tasted like a sweet fruit jam, but not as sticky. The whole cereal was very crunchy, but not terribly so. The berries provided huge bursts of sweetness and were chewy and sticky. When eaten dry, this cereal was grade A delicious.

In an odd moment as far as "adult" cereals go, I actually found Kashi's Toasted Berry Crumble to taste better dry than in milk. With adult cereals, it's usually the other way around. The sweetness of the Toasted Berry Crumble seemed to fade away in milk, but its crunchiness didn't. The cereal clusters tended to break apart from each other after sitting in milk for awhile, however, and all the oats sunk to the bottom. But despite all this, Toasted Berry Crumble was still PLENTY tasty in milk- In fact, it tasted like berries and cream oatmeal! -just not as tasty as if one were to eat it dry.

Overall, Kashi's Toasted Berry Crumble was totally stunning and tasted way better than my expectations led me to believe. For once, Kashi has crafted a cereal that is deliciously sweet- not one that is so mild in sweetness you actually have to think about it to realize its there. Even though this cereal isn't technically granola, it still felt like it in taste and texture, so that's another plus. This is definitely THE BEST Kashi cereal I've tried so far, and I'd definitely make it a mainstay in my pantry if it weren't for the fact I'd be tempted to eat the whole box of the stuff! I mean, it's just that good.
I'd give Kashi's GoLean Crisp! Toasted Berry Crumble a 10/10.

What is YOUR favorite Kashi cereal? Which one should I review next? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...