Friday, February 21, 2014

REVIEW: Kraft Oscar Mayer Selects Chicken Breast Franks


I love Hebrew National's 97% Fat Free Franks, but lately in Health Class, we've been discussing how "bad" and "detrimental" additives and chemicals in food are to your well-being. So, frankly (get what I did there?), I wasn't much in the mood for Hebrew National's low-calorie dogs. They just have way too many weird ingredients- most I can't even pronounce. So I decided to pick up a package of more all na-tu-ralll hot dogs. These Chicken Breast Franks from Oscar Mayer seemed to be a good choice- no artificial preservatives, low calories, fairly big size -all sounds swell to me! So let's dig in.
A 15 oz package with eight hot dogs costs around $4.25.

A 53g hot dog contains 80 calories, 50 of them being from fat, 5g of total fat, 1.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 30mg of cholesterol, 400mg of sodium, 2g of total carbohydrates, <1g of sugar, and 7g of protein. Also contains 15% of your daily value of Vitamin C.

So, these are fairly large-sized franks- nearly ten grams larger than the franks I usually buy. In fact, at 53g, these chicken breast hot dogs are even larger than Oscar Mayer's own standard beef hot dogs, which weigh in at only 45g. So, wow-wow! These hot dogs- being the white meat based dogs they are -are noticeably more pale than the red meat dogs you may be used to.

After cooking two of these doggies up, I placed each in a bun of its own, and dressed up one with all the fixins' (my preferred method) and left one plain (the fair taste-test method). I ate the plain hot dog first and- boy howdy! -these guys tasted much more like real hot dogs then I could ever have begun to expect. They were chewy and tasted very full-bodied- like the weren't missing anything that traditional franks may have. Well, except the red meat- but you wouldn't know that just be eating these things. These were yummy and made me feel like I was eating a real hot dog! Even when I was just eating these plain. You can't even taste the chicken.

Overall, these chicken breast franks were a total winner with me. Not only did they taste like real hot dogs (as far as I can tell anyway), these dogs were a nice size, had less ingredients, and were lower in calories. So, these were a pretty all-star hot dog choice! I think these would be great for anyone who's trying to go red meatless, or just trying to eat healthier, whether it be calorie-wise or ingredient-wise. I would definitely buy these again!
I'd give Oscar Mayer's Selects Chicken Breast Franks a 9/10.

What is YOUR favorite beefless hot dog? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...