Monday, February 10, 2014

REVIEW: Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe High Protein Bar

I like having snacks that are full of protein. But as much as I like food like meats and beans and cheeses and all of that stuff- they're not really convenient as on-the-go foods. Or really anything that I'd actually want as a "snack" (well, maybe cheese, but still). No, I just think there's more appeal to eating sweet protein foods when you want a snack. Like protein bars. Plus, there is no end to the variety in protein bars! Cinnamon bun-flavored protein? Blueberry pie? Oatmeal cookie? Really, you can have you protein any way you want it- there are just so many flavors to choose from nowadays. And what craaaazy-cool flavor will I be reviewing today? That's right- Chocolate! Woohoo! What the little daredevil I am!
But this isn't just any Chocolate- it's Chocolate Deluxe. Oooooooh! This bar is made by Pure Protein, and with 20 grams of the stuff in one bar, I wouldn't say the brand name is all too misleading at all.
One 50g bar costs around $1.49.

A 50g bar contains 180 calories, 40 of them being from fatm 4.5g of total fat, 3g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 15mg of cholesterol, 75mg of sodium, 115mg of potassium, 17g of total carbohydrates, 2g of dietary fiber, 2g of sugar, 4g of sugar alcohol, and 20g of protein. Also contains various values of your assorted vitamins and minerals.

Look at that- just a little chocolate block. Well- I mean, it's not little- it's actually a fairly decent-sized bar. It's also a very dense and thick protein bar. The surface is fairly smooth, covered with chocolate coating on the outside that encases some chocolatey material on the inside

So, this bar's chocolate coating is sweet and creamy- that part I enjoyed. The inside, however, was a little more tougher to digest. The insides are very gummy and chewy- it's pretty strange. The taste of the inner material was like very dark chocolate combined with bitter beef jerky- the latter must come from the huge amount of protein in here. Needless to say though, I was not a fan of the cocoa-covered jerky taste. Among the gummy insides were also some tiny chocolate chips here and there, which added some smoothness and sweetness to the otherwise bitter center.

Overall, I think Chocolate Deluxe might've been too deceptive of a name for this bar. But then again, if Pure Protein would've named their bars honestly, I don't think many people would have chosen to buy "Cocoa-Dusted Bitter Beef Jerky." But I'll be fair and give Pure Protein a break- I'm overemphasizing how much his bar tastes like beef jerky and how little it tastes like chocolate. In fact, the chocolate taste wasn't too bad- it just wasn't as chocolatey and sweet as one might expect. It would be best described a "strong dark chocolate" kind of flavor. And the beef jerky flavor? Well, trust me, you'll be able to spot it now that I've pointed it out, but if I hadn't, it must have just seemed like a bitter protein flavor to most. The bar wasn't the tastiest protein bar I've tried- not even close -but for 20 grams of protein, you can't ask the world out of the taste. It's a give-and-take kind of thing. I wouldn't be wiling to buy this bar again, but I think it's a solid choice from people who like to get a TON of protein out of their protein bars.
I've give Pure Protein's Chocolate Deluxe a 6/10.

Need other views from those who chewed? Crazy Food Dude also has this one reviewed.

What is YOUR favorite Pure Protein bar? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...