Sunday, February 23, 2014

REVIEW: Girl Scouts Savannah Smiles Cookies


I've been reviewing all the new cookies that Girl Scouts has just released this Cookie Season: first I went for the Citrus Cranberry Crisps, then I tried the Chocolate Chip Shortbreads. And now that I've got those two out of the way, there aren't any more new Girl Scouts cookies to review! Oh noooooooo! So now... I guess I move on to some slightly older Girl Scouts cookies- em, not old as in stale, but old as in "not the stars of this year's cookie trend." If that makes any sense. So anyway, I don't see a problem with reviewing some has-been cookies, do you? Me neither! So let's be on our way! Today's victim on the cookie dissection block will be Girl Scouts' Savannah Smiles.
One 6 oz. box of costs around $3.75


A 5 cookie serving (30g) contains 140 calories, 45 of them being from fat, 5g of total fat, 1.5g of saturated fat. 0g of trans fat, 1.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 1g of monounsaturated fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 125mg of sodium, 23g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 10g of sugar, and 1g of protein.

So, I knew these Savannah Smiles were supposed to be lemony, but OH DANG! Are these things tangy! Like, super tangy. Don't get me wrong, they are sweet as well, but the zest of lemon comes out first and foremost in these small cookies. At least 90% of the lemon flavor comes from the powdered sugar, which is very thick and spread on quite generously- which may explain why these things have so much lemony zing to them. Yeah, the lemon flavor is tart and tangy- you would think these cookies wouldn't be any tangier than the Girl Scouts' Lemonade cookies themselves, but lo and behold, they are.
The cookie part taking protection underneath the thick powdered sugar layer is pale yellow in color and sweet, like Girl Scouts' Shortbread. The actual cookie component was really crunchy- I even thought it could've passed for a biscotto! But- like biscotti as well -these cookies were fairly airy on the inside.

Well, if I had to say anything about these Savannah Smiles right away, it'd be that they're rather unique. Kinda in a good way, kinda in a bad way. I mean, it doesn't help the creamy texture of the powdered sugar and the crunchy texture of the cookies are so at odds with one another, but then you have the super tartness of the powdered sugar topping combining with the sweet, mildness of the cookies- if you could call it combining. But after a couple of cookies, the taste didn't remain as such a shock to me, and I was able to enjoy these Smiles reasonably well. I believe these are a cookies for the serious lemon fan, however- not just anybody looking for a good cookie. You really have to enjoy lemon bars, and tart 'n tangy desserts, and lots of powdered sugar, and all that stuff. But if that description sounds like you, then I'd say, "try these cookies out!" I wouldn't buy these again- they were just waaaay too lemony and weird for this girl.
I'd give Girl Scouts' Savannah Smiles a 6/10.

Which Girl Scouts cookie should be reviewed next? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...