Monday, February 3, 2014

REVIEW: Kemps Throwback Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

You know what food gimmick I consider silly? Huh? A promotion that I think should just be dropped altogether? One that should be sent to the bottom of a pit, never to return? Huh? Huh? You guessed it- throwback flavors. They're just so darn useless. A mere definition of the word "gimmick." Like, for instance, I remember a few years ago how my dad was so jazzed up for some old-fashioned Mountain Dew that was being released as a throwback item, and I was just like, "Why?" He said it was made with real sugar, but isn't all Mountain Dew? What's the big deal? You can't just slap "Throwback" onto any old food product you see and live a good and decent-
.............
Uh huh. Uh huh... I see...
Well, alright, so a correspondent of mine just informed me that no, not all Mountain Dews are made with real sugar- in fact, most of the flavors are made with high fructose corn syrup.
Well. Alright then. I guess... I was wrong...
Well now, Mr. Correspondent! Do you see what you've done now?! A perfectly good rant ruined! Waaaaah!
...I guess now all I can do is introduce my next reviewing material like it is. Today I'll be trying this Throwback Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, brought to you by Kemps. I think this ice cream is labeled as "Throwback" NOT because it is a variation on Kemps' current Chocolate Chip, but because it is a flavor that the company has made since 1914. Pro deduction skills there.
Anyway, a 1.5 qt. container will cost around $3.89.

A 1/2 cup serving of ice cream (66g) contains 150 calories, 70 of them being from fat, 8g of total fat, 5g of saturated aft, 0g of trans fat, 25mg of cholesterol, 50mg of sodium, 18g of total carbohydrates, 0g of dietary fiber, 15g of sugar, and 2g of protein.

So, what we got here is an artificially flavored vanilla ice cream base speckled with many, many tiny flecks of chocolate. There are also small bits of toffee in here too. It was a little hard for me to notice them just by looking at the ice cream though... Oh, I guess you can see some yellow, caramel-like bits in the picture if you look real hard, cantcha?

Okie dokie! Got two scoops of ice cream in a bowl and am good to go... First, the miniscule chocolate flecks leave a lack of prominent crunch or solidity that actual chocolate chips would be able to provide, but instead, the numerous flecks leave just a hint of crunchy with every bite you take. I don't know if you're a person who'd rather prefer the occasional crunchy bite than every bite just having a little crunch, but I don't really mind the way Kemps has got it. Either way, the flecks provided a great chocolately accent to the flavor. Good stuff. The vanilla ice cream base was sweet and creamy- not too rich yet not too light. I think what really made this ice cream was the toffee- it was sweet, and added an extra layer of richness to the taste, which really gave this ice cream an interesting depth.

Overall, this was a totally tasty flavor of chocolate chip ice cream. Very unique too. See, I think ANY old hack can stir in some chocolate chips to a vanilla ice cream base and call it good, but the addition of toffee in this Kemps flavor- along with chocolate flecks instead of chocolate chips -really made for something flavorful AND interesting. No wonder this flavor has lasted so long. It was a solidly good flavor of ice cream, and I certainly wouldn't mind buying it again! Probably one of the best chocolate chip flavors I've had so far.
I'd give Kemps' Throwback Chocolate Chip Ice Cream an 8.5/10.

What flavor of Kemps is YOUR fav? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...