Sunday, February 9, 2014

REVIEW: Fiber One 90 Calorie Chocolate Chewy Bars

I have tried the 90 Calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter Chewy Bars from Fiber One, and I have tried their Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Chewy Bars as well, so it'd make sense for me to try the last remaining flavor of 90 Calorie Bars: the classic Chocolate. It WOULD make sense, riiiiight? But I think I held off on trying these so long just because they ARE so... classic. As in, boring-sounding. Why settle for Chocolate when you can have Chocolate Peanut Butter, or even Chocolate Caramel Pretzel? I was so passive about actually trying these things that someone ELSE bought them for me. But since they're here now, sitting in my pantry, I can't really say NO to trying these things, now can I? Well, okay- I COULD, but I'm not one to say no to a granola bar, no matter how boring. Especially if said granola bar is only 90 calories.
A 4.10 oz. box with five 0.82 oz. bars cots around $2.98.

A 23g bar contains 90 calories, 20 of them being from fat, 2g of total fat, 1g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 0mg of cholesterol, 80mg of sodium, 17g of total carbohydrates, 5g of dietary fiber, 5g of sugar, and 1g of protein.

So what we got here is a brownish bar, composed of oats and puffed rice. Pretty much everything about it screams chocolate: the chocolate coating on the bottom, the chocolate drizzle on top, and the tiny chocolate chips inside. The puffed rice makes for a very light and airy bar, but surface area wise, this bar isn't too bad.

I've tried a few of these bars since they writing on this post, so I think with unquestionably say that these bars do NOT taste very chocolatey. I don't why what is- the taste of chocolate is there, but it's mild, and actually kind of bitter, like I'm eating a MOCHA chocolate bar (i.e. coffee-flavored). Now I suppose that would be all fine and good if this was a coffee bar- since I love coffee-flavored things -but this was NOT supposed to be a coffee bar. It was supposed to be chocolate, and I was NOT picking up the taste. Well, maybe I was, but only a little. These bars are kind of boring, and don't even taste that much like chocolate. Look, I'm not looking for a chocolate overload, but even I know when there needs to be more of a certain flavor.


To conclude, my hunch that these bars would be boring was correct. I made the right choice staying away from them. I wouldn't say these bars taste bad, but they do NOT live up to their chocolatey expectations one bit. In fact, they kind of taste like coffee. Weird. I'd say Fiber One flopped with this one, but at least their two other chewy bars taste much better. I would suggest buying THOSE instead. I would NOT buy these again.
I'd give Fiber One's 90 Calorie Chocolate Chewy Bars a 4/10.

What Fiber One product should be reviewed NEXT? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...