Monday, February 17, 2014

REVIEW: Girl Scouts Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies


Out of the two new cookies Girl Scouts unveiled this Cookie Season- the Cranberry Citrus Crisps and the Chocolate Chip Shortbreads -I was definitely more excited for the Chocolate Chips. I mean, don't me wrong, I totally LOVE it when my cookies taste like oranges, but something about chocolate chips is so alluring. Plus, Girl Scouts' Shortbread cookies are pretty much amazing, so adding chocolate chips to the mix is like making a perfect snack even more perfect...er. So I just knew that I had to pick up these cookies AS. SOON. AS. POSSIBLE.
Thankfully, it didn't take long for me to spot a table of Girl Scouts when I was out grocery shopping. The little girls were all wearing these ponchos with a design of each cookie in the center with the cookies' names encircling each design. It was all kinda silly, especially the Peanut Butter Patties poncho- it looked like there was a big, brown, flat circle right in the middle of the fabric, nothing more.
But kooky advertising tricks aside, I went up to the table and looked for the Chocolate Chip Shortbreads. And then, I found them! ...Kind of. See, they were in this plastic bags- kind of like the ones granola or pistachios come in -and they were labeled as "gluten free." Plus, they were, like, a dollar more than the normal Girl Scouts cookies. I figured this was only because they were gluten free, so I kindly asked one of the ladies that the table if there were UNgluten free Chocolate Chip Shortbreads, and she said no.
Well then- nobody told me that these new cookies were gluten free! Now what? I wasn't gluten-intolerant, so why would I settle for gluten free cookies? 
Right after, I saw a grocery store employee come up and ask the same lady if they had the gluten free chocolate chip cookies. I asked the employee if she knew if they were any good or not. She said no- she hadn't tried them yet. Well, if SHE was willing to try them...
I put my money down, picked up a bag of the gluten free cookies, and went home, wondering how they would turn out.
A 5 oz. bag costs around $5.00.

A 4 cookie serving (28g) contains 130 calories, 60 of them being from fat, 7g of total fat, 4.5g of saturated fat, 0g of trans fat, 15mg of cholesterol, 65mg of sodium, 17g of total carbohydrates, 1g of dietary fiber, 9g of sugar, and 1g of protein.

So, I knew these cookies were gonna be bite-size by the description found on their packaging, but wow! Just look at these things! So tiny... I could just eat them up! ...So I will!

Taking my first bite out of one of these tiny cookies, I could tell right away that these cookies- while incredibly small -were also incredibly rich. Well, maybe not incredibly so, but it sure was a surprising amount of richness. The taste was almost creamy, kind of like pudding. I can't help but wonder if that's because of the tapioca flour found in these things. The flavor was deliciously sweet, and the chocolate chips were creamy and had a scrumptious, pronounced flavor. The texture was crummy, and not unlike Sandies. These cookies, however, did NOT remind me of Girl Scouts' original Shortbread, which is probably because (a) these are gluten free and (b) no one really said that these would taste like Girl Scouts' Shortbread in the first place.

Overall, these cookies were deliciously addictive, and not what you'd expect gluten free cookies to taste like AT ALL. These were creamy, rich, and tasted just like regular chocolate chip cookies, if not better. I wouldn't think these cookies are totally worth the extra dollar, but if you can handle the price, you should totally pick these up. Even if you're NOT gluten-intolerant, try these. They are the breakout cookie of this Girl Scout season! (Just P.S.... These cookies are only being sold in a variety of test markets. Fingers crossed they have them near you!) I would definitely buy these again.
I'd give Girl Scouts' Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies a 9/10.

Which of Girl Scouts' two new cookies did YOU like best? Let us know in the comments below!

Till' then, this has been RiRi ri-porting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...